Beginner, just bought a guitar, need more stuff. Recommendations?

Salluz

No vids or LJ for now. I'm not highly skilled @ playing it but I can tell that I have the nature of a guitar player after a few tries. I have a guitar book from school for learning chords and whatnot.

fender-squier-affinity-strat-black.jpg

Squier Affinity Black, supposedly a "beginner's guitar", but heh, it's not like I never, ever played a guitar before. I bought it because that's what I can afford for now. I would have preferred an American-made brand, but I don't have hundreds of dollars nor a bigtime band or anything.

I need to get a Guitar Pedal for that lustful distortion + all of the other lovely effects (wah, reverb, chorus, everything else including non-guitar FX).

I didn't buy an amp (but I probably still will) because I have an interface that has an AC port for a 9V 500 mA positive center plug. Don't think that I'll need a tuner b/c I can use my keyboard for the sequence E A D G B E.

fasttrackpro_front-rear.jpg

Digital meets analog baby. Good thing I got it, now I can record riffs and more to the PC.

Not just for the guitar, but in general, I am considering compression and EQ tools, like... a compressor or a mixer. I am doing my research, but I do trust the word of mouth since the user is 9-times-of-10 no bull.

Play these every day (preferably in the key of E) and whatever other guitar songs you want.

Yeah there's tons of free compressors and mixers and whatnot in the remixing forum...go look there. As for guitar pedals and distortion and whatnot, you need software that gives you that stuff in virtual form, you know, like running your compy as an amp. You'll need RAM though. I use POD Farm, which came with my external soundcard. Pictured here is my POD UX2 and POD Farm.

lin6podstux2.jpg

This thread should be in Remixing anyway. Someone move it.

I also recommend the UX2 and POD Farm. The tone modeling capabilities are pretty amazing for the price.

As for the RAM issue, I'm running 2GB and have 0.10 sec latency.

Hope that helps

Absolutely good advice, I kept my other PC's RAM and and processor; when I get a new PC I'll have more power.

Yo...you got the same guitar as me. :)

Except mine's an old, damaged turd...either way, yeah just practice scales, chords, power chords, picking technique and...that'd be about the best start anyone can give you. Also, that stuff Epitaph told you about the software is 100% accurate and you should probably take more advice from him than from me. :)