*NO* Final Fantasy 10 'Aeon'

djpretzel

Hey,

Second remix submission here. Hopefully I've got the tags filled properly, but if not, here's the information.

Title: Final Fantasy 10 Aeon OC ReMix

Artist handle: Sephfire

Artist name: Daniel Floyd

Artist email: sephfire_cec@yahoo.com

Artist url: http://www.finalfantasy7.info

Year: 2003

Genre: Game

This is a remix of the "Hymn of the Fayth," inspired by Linkin Park's unreleased track, "My December"

(which I highly recommend downloading). Enjoy and keep up the good work.

Daniel

I hear similarities to Linkin Park, not that their music is really a benchmark for anything.

This is an arrangement of the Hymn theme that I can appreciate regardless of sample sound quality. The original's choir vocals are used sparingly and not saturated throughout the mix, melancholic piano chords do some good harmony, and the drums and turntables are simultaneously mean and light. As I see it, the major achievement in the details is the understating of the turntables; they could have easily dominated the track and soured it. Gating and key change later on are handled very well, as well as fading-out on the FFX motif. Good job.

YES

i have a feeling that this will be passed anyway, so i'm going to dissent.

while this idea is pretty good, it comes across as very amateurish. much more could be going on harmonically. this isnt so much a remix integrating the original as it is a simple and uninteresting two-chord progression with an unrelated videogame melody played over it.

interesting idea, but it's not executed effectively.

NO

Tricky track to mix given the reliance of the lack of melody and choir phrases from the original.

While not completely relevant to the mix, the first thing that popped in my head was what some of the other judges felt on Jared Hudson's version of this mix. To me that mix, enjoyable as it is, sounded too original and I feel somewhat the same here. For a mix so relying so much on the melody choral phrase and without a real melody to cling onto - the harmony here takes centerstage and feels a bit lacking.

On this mix's production side I agree with some of Vigilante's criticisms. But also the end result doesn't sound as polished as what we've heard from sephire before. The intent of the mixer could have been to create a soft sounding mix, however it sounds too dull, some slight treble boost work would have helped the clarity aspect while maintaining the softness.

I do like the mix, and the atmosphere here. Turntable, sounds subtle yet there's something that makes it sound sometimes cheap or fake.

I'm very borderline on this, so my vote for now is NO, but I may come back to this later.

This, just like Jared's track is far too original and relying quite heavily on the in game vocals.

Thing is, that song never went through the panel to my knowledge. I wouldn't pass either of them based on this.

You need to do a bit more than original accompany and rain sound effects.

Work it into more of a remix rather than an original and resubmit. Sounded very nice.

NO

I'm in agreement with GL and Prot- this is basically an original composition that uses a sample from a videogame. I was against Jared's mix, and I'm against this one. If you're going to use performance samples like this they need to be more tightly integrated- meaning your added material should develop the melodic and rhythmic ideas of the original clip, and not simply serve as harmonic background.

NO