Elona - orc02.mid Remix ..and questions

Grayburg

Game: Elona

Source: orc02

Remix: orchestra 2

Production and arrangement critique, yeah,

but I have questions about the original.

Looking at the string chords and melody, it's in E Phrygian. The chords are II > I > repeat to infinity. Is it okay for it to do that? Isn't that supposed to be boring?

The melody starts off on E, and the first chord is II, an F. It still sounds perfectly fine. Why does it still sound okay?

The song in general sounds very emotional, epic, etc. What's giving it that sound? Is it the E Phrygian, brilliant writing, or what?

What does Phrygian do for the song, anyway? Why is it not in major or minor?

Phrygian means it's practically major except it's based on the third chord instead of the first... and it's practically minor, and based on the fifth chord. It feels different, epic, something. I bet Gario or one of the other theory geeks can explain it better. :D

Yeah, it gets boring with just those two chords, but you should also vary rhythms and stuff, have more than one beat in there. Well, at least you have fills and stuff. If you'd just change the chords and fit the melodies to the new chords, you'd still have a pretty repetitive rhythm and sound, so you gotta vary that stuff more. Give the track a couple of different sections, not necessarily a chorus part but a B part which can be anything from another source to just another spin on the melody, a different chord progression, an original part... Something to keep it from being 3 minutes of the same.

The production sounds decent, but it also sounds kind'a dated, like OCR in its earlier days. This would probably get a NO if subbed, methinks, partly because of the repetition but also for the production. I don't know what, but there's something about it that sounds unrefined. Maybe someone else picks up on that and figure out what exactly it is.

Cool that this is from some unknown game out there. Sounds nice, but... you're looking for crits. :D

btw, I keep thinking of Secret of Spram when listening to your remix. :D