OCR01908 - *YES* Chrono Trigger 'Tree Hopper'

Liontamer

ReMixer name: Detuned Logic

Email: feinstein.mike@gmail.com

User ID: 19721

ReMix Name: Tree Hopper

Name of game: Chrono Trigger

Name of song: Secret of the Forest -- Source: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPjRTvMAptg

Comments: I've always loved Chrono Trigger; its soundtrack sparked my love for remixing in general. This track in particular really moved me, and I noticed that the percussion swayed towards nonexistent with a bit of light rhythm. I decided to use similar "light" sounding percussion to keep the airy feel for the most of the Mix, but it is much more present with focus on mids and highs. The original's best qualities are its melody and atmosphere, so I emphasized those as much as I could; I dare say this is not a "conventional" ReMix, but then again, variety is the spice of life. Enjoy!

---------------------------------------------------------------

http://snesmusic.org/v2/download.php?spcNow=ct - "Secret of the Forest" (ct-111.spc)

Later in the mix, some of the percussion patterns felt shoehorned, so I'd be interested to know whether drumloop presets were used. At times, I thought the dynamics were underwhelming, even keeping the mood of this piece in mind.

That said, I thought the arrangement was pretty solid and the personalization of the theme worked for the most part. The dynamic curve could have had more ups and downs, but what was in place clicked enough where I don't have a huge problem with it. Good job giving this theme a new coat of paint, Mike.

YES

Tonally this one didn't stray too far from it's core, the sections kind of smeared into each other, but there was enough variation in the percussive and synth textures to keep it moderately fresh. It does sound like a lot of loops were stacked, and i think a lot of the sounds used were a bit vanilla, but I can dig it; it was creatively constructed and it was super chill.

I think having a few sections with stronger textural differences would have helped this track feel a bit more interesting to me, but as stated, it's not really intended to be a song proper, but as a very melodic ambient backing track, it certainly worked well enough for me.

yes

I like the entrancing mood you designed here out of so many ambient, floating elements. The lead is pretty much your anchor in this song and it held down the melody end of it nicely. The song does sound like loops on top of loops, but the layering was intelligent, it never sounded wrong or bad to me. In total, it's a very interesting production paired with a tweaked Chrono Trigger melody that works beautifully.

YES

Can't add much at this point but I thought I'd help close it out. Intelligent arrangement even though the melody is kept intact for the most part. A little more variation wouldn't have hurt but it isn't a dealbreaker. Great soundscape and atmosphere. Production was solid but I felt the modulation on the lead was a bit over the top at times and the soundscape felt a little bit on the sparse and flat side.

Overall this is good, I think it could've been much better but.. yeah, I'm cool with this.

YES(borderline)