Megaman 3 - Get a Weapon metal remix WIP

The Biznut

I've been working on this WIP for a while. I in the process of rerecording the guitar tracks to clean this up, what I am posting is a few weeks old. The going has been slow however, and I have it handy, I thought I would upload this and share this version, this is the version where I decided I was perfectly happy with the composition of it. So in my mind, the composition aspect is complete.

Megaman 3 - I Can Haz Weapon

As stated before, I am recording new takes of these tracks to clean it up. I obviously need to establish what I am doing for a solo, what is currently recorded is just a mashup of stuff. I do like the raw feel of it though. SOOOO I don't want any feedback telling me I should fix the solo, ok? I know that, lol. Ideas for a solo are totally welcome.

Any other feedback is welcome. I LOVE the composition of this song, Absolutely get pumped up everytime I hear this track, I love it. I love this version too, its raw and messy and that adds a certain character, especially to me.

I don't have a bassline in this version, or any other version I have. Do you think it is necessary for making this track awesome? I feel like I should, like I'm obligated or whatever.

Enjoy! 8)

i clicked on this thread because OMG METAL BIAS

ya I like the direction this is going fo sho. Weak drums though, what kit are you using? Make those babies stand out more! Your actual drum beat kicks ass though. I shouldn't have to say that a bassline would make it better, but I suppose we shouldn't worry about it right now. At first, I didn't like how you took the melody and make it a higher note (I'm sure there's a proper term for that, but it just doesn't come to me) but then you came in with that awesome original melody afterwards, which I thoroughly enjoyed <3 That said, there needs to be a little more to fill in here, more background instruments, if you will. Maybe some synth-like sounds and such, and of course a bass would help. Just the average guitar, bass, and drum ain't enough, as you always need a few more background things to really kick your song into high gear and make it more enjoyable.

Still, this is awesome so far. Finish this thing!

Also, out of curiosity, what's your setup for recording guitar? I use a Line6 Pod UX2 external sound card and Pod Farm Amp sim.

i clicked on this thread because OMG METAL BIAS

At first, I didn't like how you took the melody and make it a higher note (I'm sure there's a proper term for that, but it just doesn't come to me)

Also, out of curiosity, what's your setup for recording guitar? I use a Line6 Pod UX2 external sound card and Pod Farm Amp sim.

I use a Toneport UX1 myself, and i know, its not NEARLY as cool as a UX2, but it gets the job done. j/k :D And i believe its octave that you were looking for when describing the melody.

Anyways, i pretty much agree with Epitaph on this one. The drum is a nice thrash beat but doesn't stand out at all. I think by adjusting the EQ by bringing up the lows and the highs a tad might help a little at first. It also seems there's no hi-hats in some places mostly during the solo parts and i'm not sure if that's on purpose. Its kinda hard to tell, but i don't think the guitars are panned at all. I can hear the cymbals to the sides, but no the guitars. You need to have 2 tracks and pan one hard right and one hard left to really give it a more stereo sound and that'll also make the leads stand out really nicely. For the leads, the playing is spot on but the leads need more effects. They don't need much, but definitely some slight chorus and reverb and a nice delay effect too.

Eventually a bass line would be nice too, but that's something i would worry about later. Its funny how much of a difference a bass line can really bring a track together once everything is done. Apparently bassists are important!! lol

So i think messing around with all that first would be a huge step. The drums would be the first thing cause they seem way too weak for the genre of song your going for. And definintely pan those guitars! Take a listen to my Legend Of Zelda dungeon remix, its right up your alley and might give you a couple ideas/pointers.

<a href="http://tindeck.com/listen/gzjy" target="_blank">Click here to download <b>NintenJoe 64 - Dungeon Of Despair (LOZ NES Dungeon).mp3</b></a>

Dude, you so need a reverse galloping bassline under that, in the beginning. Otherwise, nice shredding track you got. The drums are rather lame throughout some of it (thump thump CRACK thump... when you change it up it's better, but every time that's in the track it drives me INSANE!). The notes at 1:10 and 1:35 - 1:36 just sound wrong, there, so if your able to fix them that would be great.

The reason it sounds like your bass is already covered is because the second guitar seems to cover the bass' job. Unfortunately, it also could use some bass for filling the soundscape more - that part of the spectra isn't covered adequately, making the metal sound a bit empty.

Great solos, incredible source (that really, really needed some metal attention) and some decent metal you've got going there. I loved this track in the game, and I'm glad your giving it the attention it deserves.

Much thanks for the responses guys. I'll work on the stuff you suggest when I get the time. I usually wont touch my work for a while, then go hard at it for a whole day or something. Good ideas for sure. I haven't done much panning at all and I will work on the drums. Theres a kit I play on sometimes that I absolutely love the sound of, and I have always wanted to record some good samples from it. I might get around to that... Is that a good way to go? I don't have the skills to pull this off live (double kicking...)

Whats out there for drum samples that would do this justice? Any particular product I should look at? What do you recommend?

As far as my rig goes, this particular version was recorded on my old Cort guitar through my oldschool digitech RP200 into my MicroBR at an appropriate BPM, then imported into a track I threw together in FLStudio. I don't have a ton of money to spend on upgrading. I do have a presonus firebox, but I was having trouble using my firewire express card on my lappy and getting it to work, so until I figure that out, thats out of the question. I do own a BOSE Tonematch mixer which I just found out can be used as a recording mixer for a computer rig. I have yet to try that.

I was thinking of investing in Komplete 5, 399 seems good for all you get there. Is the included guitar rig any good? What else would you guys suggest? Are guitar plugins on my computer a better option than an external effects pedal?

I appreciate any guidance I get. Thanks in advance!

• 4 weeks later...