axiom 49 - aftertouch, some transport keys, MIDI channel switching doesn't work

so, i know that this has been repeated ad nauseum, but it appears that people don't understand how to explain themselves or use normal english in their answers over at the FLStudio forums, so as a whole i have no idea what's going on. this is for either FL 8 or 8.5 beta 4. please don't take anything for granted - i honestly don't know squat about MIDI anything. i need most everything explained to me because i don't understand the crappy tuts that are out there already.

1. is it possible to change MIDI channels from an axiom 49? i don't want to change channels in FL Studio (VSTs like orchestral or omnisphere require multiple MIDI channels per instance), rather i want to be able to select a VST in fl and then change channels directly from my keyboard. if that's not possible, what do i have to do in FL to allow me to switch between them? i use edirol orchestral and spectrasonic's omnisphere a lot, and i can't trigger anything other than whatever's in channel one for anything. i want to be able to switch between channels/layers so that i can play any of them whenever i want to - and i can't right now. it's incredibly frustrating.

2. i got the transport keys working - play, pause, and stop - but FF and REW don't appear to do anything other than bring it back to the start of the piece regardless of when i use them. i watched kablam's guide from the FL forums, but his settings don't appear to work in the 8.5 beta, at least.

3. so, is there a working way to get aftertouch into FL? i've tried about fifteen different workarounds to make it work, and nothing seems to run properly. i use both NI's massive synth and Kontakt's string modelers (gofriller, mostly), but both VSTs require the use of aftertouch to make the instruments they create sound real. gofriller is horrid without vibrato, and the only way to make it work is with aftertouch. i know my keyboard's putting it out right - both synths work fine in standalone mode - but i can't make FL actually do what it's supposed to do, no matter how i do it. i've tried doing the "link to controller" thing, the midi out thing, all that - nothing works.

how is it possible that a major keyboard company like m-audio's products don't work with this program without having to tie yourself in knots? m-audio blames fl, fl blames m-audio. seriously, man up and make it work. this is ridiculous. image-line recommends buying m-audio keyboards and then nothing bloody works in their program.

it's really not as complicated as I think you fear it might be.

Since FL is 32-bit and can only access <1900 MB of ram (give or take), this tends to restrict how many plugins you can have in your project, especially if you're using your beastly, ram-eating stuff like Omnisphere or Kontakt. jbridge essentially opens these plugins outside of FL, therefore, they can all access up to ~2GB of RAM by themselves since they're actually open as standalone/seperate programs. You can also do this by using a MIDI out channel and an internal MIDI cable like loopbe1 or something. However, the difference is that when you do it that way, the plugin is not actually open inside FL, meaning when you want to render your final project, you're going to have to set FL to record the plugin's audio as an independent audio file first (bounce/digitize it, or whatever you prefer to call this process), and this is kind of a pain for various reasons.

The difference between using that method and using jbridge is that jbridge actually creates a "dummy" instance of the plugin inside FL (is how Andy explained it to me, and he's right). It somehow tricks FL into thinking that the plugin is open inside the host, but it's actually not. FL responds as if the plugin is actually open inside FL--it saves it's state/presets and it will render the audio when you're exporting your project to audio the same way it would any other internal plugin. I have no idea how the wrapper in jbridge works, but for whatever reason, FL's wrapper does not cooperate with the Steam Engine. But since technically the Steam Engine is being run outside FL and it does not have a standalone version, I'm guessing that Jbridge has it's own wrapper of sorts, and it gets along fine with Omnisphere.

Just make sure you're using that template I gave you, or that you otherwise have the Modwheel and AT set up in FL because if FL doesn't send the plugin that information, then obviously it won't respond to your Axiom :P

It somehow tricks FL into thinking that the plugin is open inside the host, but it's actually not.

Basically, the lightweight plugin that is opened in the host just passes everything from the host to the actual plugin. Plugins have an interface that the host can call to determine what parameters are available, for example, and what the possible range of values for each is. The host calls the JBridge plugin, which talks to the out-of-process VST using the same interface, and passes the results back to the host. The JBridge plugin is just a passthrough: it needs to support the full VST specification, and it supports that by sending everything to the separate process and forwarding the results back to the host.

Are you using the FL8.5v4 beta? It seems to work fine for me now (although I still prefer JBridge simply because it keeps Omni from chewing up all of FL's available RAM).

Also, it seems that changing channels in FL is as simple as using your +/- buttons. I recommend grouping together the ones you'd like to switch between, then clicking on one and then just press the +/- buttons. You'll see the green channel light switch between them appropriately.