So I Am In...

The market of buying a MIDI-To-USB market. Ever since my first paycheck came in the mail yesterday, a new world has open up to me: The wonderful world of awarding myself with heavy spending of shit I may actually need!

Well, one of my top priority of spending my money is (besides paying for school) is finding myself a MIDI-To-USB cable. I figure that I could save my and skip buying a MIDI controller keyboard until a later time. What cable should I buy for a Casio LK-100 (yes, I got that gimmick light up keyboard). Keep in mind I am also thinking about spending less than $100.

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/MIDISPORT1x1.html

this would be the kind of thing you're looking for.

What kind of audio interface do you have though? If it can't provide decent latency values, you might be better off getting a new audio interface that also has a midi in built in.

There's the Asio4All driver, I just don't know how well it'll work with any given audio interface as I've always used dedicated drivers. Maybe someone else can chime in about that.

Even if you find out that your present sound card would do an acceptable job, my advice would be to test some lower range USB keyboards to see if you prefer their key action to your Casio's. You might just find something not a great deal more expensive (Well, most probably above $100) but with better playability (Dunno what the Casio keyboard is like, just haven't got the highest expectations ;) ).