A Final Fantasy Medley

Okay, first things first. I do NOT make any attempt to claim this as my own song. My best friend did this, but I am (as far as I know) the only one of us two with either an account here, or the know-how on how to render, upload, and post. Anyway, we are both part of the same (currently fictitious) production and design company-like thing, mentalSTRIKE Productions (hence my username). Anyway, this is a nice little Final Fantasy Medley in the works. I have no clue what all he intends on putting in it, but so far it's got the title theme and some other bit that I don't recognize. It's done completely in Fruity Loops, and I must say I am jealous of his skills with the program. Before I let myself rant, though, here's the link:

img.php?fid=268

More Stuff Now

img.php?fid=318

EDIT

got a working low bitrate version. Loads instantly on my lappy, with almost no loss in quality. The hi-hats are a bit weird now, but oh well.

Seems to me like he's starting things off with J~E~N~O~V~A? Which I think may be musically related to Prelude, or something.

Given the current length that's a rather long intro which might benefit from more of a build up maybe? but since it's not complete I can't really say.

The piano isn't coming through very loudly with the synth drowning it out.

I don't recognize the second tune at all, lol. The whole Final Fantasy series has lots of music to pull from so that's likely.

Medleys and OCR aren't the closest dance partners (what a terrible metaphor.. so why am i leaving it there?). I'm not sure what your (either yours or his) goals are with this so .. if you're going for a purer medley, then some criticism concerning rearrangement is moot.

i've shit production skills so if anybody else has anything to say in that department, as usual, i'll leave it to them..lol.

I'm curious to hear where this'll go.

Yeah, listening it again, that is J~E~N~O~V~A, especially knowing my friend...he's pretty obsessed with that song. Funny part is, I was thinking of putting the bassline thing of that song in there, thinking it was part of the Prelude >_< Can you tell that I'm only working on 4 or 5 hours of sleep? And I'm fairly confident (ie I hate) my friends musical skills, so I'm not worried about where this is going. Thanks for your feedback! And I always end up doing all the filters and such, so anything other than pure musical feedback is indirectly aimed at me. I threw in some reverb to help it sound better, and I'm adding it more bass and midsounds as I type this.

Seems to me like he's starting things off with J~E~N~O~V~A? Which I think may be musically related to Prelude, or something.

Given the current length that's a rather long intro which might benefit from more of a build up maybe? but since it's not complete I can't really say.

The piano isn't coming through very loudly with the synth drowning it out.

I don't recognize the second tune at all, lol. The whole Final Fantasy series has lots of music to pull from so that's likely.

Medleys and OCR aren't the closest dance partners (what a terrible metaphor.. so why am i leaving it there?). I'm not sure what your (either yours or his) goals are with this so .. if you're going for a purer medley, then some criticism concerning rearrangement is moot.

i've shit production skills so if anybody else has anything to say in that department, as usual, i'll leave it to them..lol.

I'm curious to hear where this'll go.

I'll second that re: the meddley thing. I think it's because it has to do with the whole flow/progression rules they use...which are very uh...stringent, to say the least. Anyways, I'll give this track a listen later...ear fatigue = x_X

Others can comment on source and arrangement and stuff, I'm more bothered by the production here. Drums are weak, and the other instruments are wide.

As in, the bass drum could use more weight, more punch, the snare/clap also, and the hihats sound phased or something, probably due to low bitrate. No crashes? Anyway, punch is usually improved by boosting a narrow band in the 50-180Hz region of the bass drum and clap/snare. Whre exactly that band is depends on the sound itself.

As for the other instruments, they need to give each other more room. Make EQ cuts to give each of them their own area where the others aren't as loud. This is especially important to do on wide instruments like the pads, and on far back instruments so they don't try to hog the attention.

Hope that helps you. Good luck with it. :D

Uhm...O...kay? Alright, I probably should have let you know, neither of us has ever had any real formal music training, and we're both fairly new at remixing. I say this to explain why I'm about to say what I'm gonna say next. This is aimed at Rozovian: Uh, what? I have no idea what any of that means, minus the bit about the no crashes. Can you repeat that in layman's terms?

Uhm...O...kay? Alright, I probably should have let you know, neither of us has ever had any real formal music training, and we're both fairly new at remixing. I say this to explain why I'm about to say what I'm gonna say next. This is aimed at Rozovian: Uh, what? I have no idea what any of that means, minus the bit about the no crashes. Can you repeat that in layman's terms?

Okay... uh...

Hm...

Snare and kick are weak. They need a specific frequency band to be louder - which you do with EQ. if you open a parametric EQ and add a 5dB boost which you move around between 50 and 180Hz you should hear when they get more punch. When they do, you've found it.

Narrow band means you don't just "boost lows", you're supposed to find a specific frequency range.

And when it comes to the other instruments...

Say you have a pad and a lead. The pad covers a lot of frequencies, the lead only some. The lead takes up, let's say, 1200-4000Hz, so you can bring those frequencies down on the pad so the lead sounds more clear.

Layman's terms enough? I guess google could help you too. :P

okay, new version with additions and also some clarifications. First, musical additions, yeah, he added some battle music. I think the transitions need to be smoother, what about you guys? Now, clarifications. That second bit that nobody has so far been able to identify is a heavily remixed part of J~E~N~O~V~A...or so he says. Anyway, here ya go!

Okay, it'll be just a while..can anyone help? I've just made a new account on my computer because my little sister decided to try to be clever with the command prompt and I decided that it was the perfect excuse to delete their accounts and make a new one. The only problem is, FL Studio has, for some reason, reverted back to the demo version. What's up with that? Can anyone help?

EDIT

It's still saying Demo version, but I can save and export things, so I'm good for now, but it would be much appreciated if anyone could explain this problem to me and help me fix it. Anyway, here's the file ^^

img.php?fid=318

okay, new version with additions and also some clarifications. First, musical additions, yeah, he added some battle music. I think the transitions need to be smoother, what about you guys? Now, clarifications. That second bit that nobody has so far been able to identify is a heavily remixed part of J~E~N~O~V~A...or so he says. Anyway, here ya go!

Okay, it'll be just a while..can anyone help? I've just made a new account on my computer because my little sister decided to try to be clever with the command prompt and I decided that it was the perfect excuse to delete their accounts and make a new one. The only problem is, FL Studio has, for some reason, reverted back to the demo version. What's up with that? Can anyone help?

You have to use the Regkey again I think.

Oh, are you kidding me? That's sucks! My friend has all my documentation cuz I borrowed it off of him...that's how he's making all of this...Is there any way I can get my registered version back from the other account or do I have to bug my friend for the documentation again?

Oh, by the way, I guess Demo Version and Trial Version are completely different things, because I can save projects and export MP3s, so here's the song ^^

img.php?fid=318