OCR01942 - *YES* Super Mario Bros. 1, 2 & Super Mario Land 'Bros with Dix'

Liontamer

Remixer Name: Nase

Email: kaesomorph@hotmail.de

UserID: 7599

Games: Super Mario Land, Super Mario Bros 1&2

Tracks: SML Overworld Theme, SMB 1 Overworld/Underground/Fanfare, SMB 2 Overworld Theme

Comments: Little hyperactive Big Band thingy. 'Dix' stands for Dixieland of course.

---------------------------------------------------

Ah come on, you know the sources, I'm lazy

Yep, a "little hyperactive Big Band thingy" (with an I-see-what-you-did-there title) is about right. Some of the sample quality was a little weak, but more than capable stuff, and this was a creative arrangement for sure. Nice work, Joshu. All subs should be this easy to call and interesting to listen to. Coming off this and the CV: Harmony of Dissonance sub, you sound like you've found your groove and can be a consistent presence on the front page now. Really glad to hear you come along so far. Keep it up!

YES

I've grown old but not bitter. I realize that the production isn't the best here but I think the arrangement makes up for it in creativity. Especially admirable to do so while still keeping the sources recognizable to this extent, props! For future submissions, don't be afraid to have some more high-end in the mix and get it to sound more airy. Perhaps some room ambience would help, especially the piano in this case.

Ah well, could be a little more polished but good enough!

YES(borderline)

Awesome arrangement, great use of themes and a model way of using a lot of sources in unexpected and cool ways. The samples were decent as an ensemble, but some of the exposed parts were a bit flimsy. Exposed sections happened pretty rarely, though, and the track moved at such a clip that there wasn't any time to dwell on a less-than-stellar sample, because the mix had already moved onto the next (great) idea. Anso has some great production tips that'll help your next sub be even better, but I have no qualms with this track at all.

what can I do but say yes to Dix?

'Dix' stands for Dixieland of course.

Sure it does. Samples and articulation are the weak link, but the weakness of the samples, the brass especially, is not that hindering after the opening. The pace is breakneck and stuffed here, and bad sample realism hurts more on slow, drawn-out, isolated songs. So this played to your strengths, though work on getting some better samples. I also would have liked a little ambience, this felt like the band was playing all scrunched up together.

Overall, a really solid, really enjoyable arrangement that makes up for its shortcomings. Glad you used double-time drums in there towards the middle and end - those could have been used more, but I'll forgive you for it.

YES