*NO* Donkey Kong Country 2 'Gloomy Thicket'

Liontamer

Remixer: POCKETMAN

Game Remixed: Donkey Kong Country 2

Song Remixed: Web Woods

Remix name: Gloomy Thicket

Comments: Hey guys, how is it going? Just thought I should send this your way. I just finished it as part of my own personal DKC2 remix project. Good game, good songs, thought I might as well mix them all ;) Anyways, enjoiy my remix of Web Woods entitled: Gloomy Thicket.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

http://snesmusic.org/v2/download.php?spcNow=dkq - "Forest Interlude" (dkq-17.spc)

As far as theme bias goes, you've got me. Loved the source ever since Protricity did "Forest Birdcussion". That said, there wasn't too much going on here. The dropoff at 1:12 was really anti-climactic, and the quasi-electric guitar synth at :40 & 1:31 was pretty low quality. 2:02 was a chance to do something different with the melody, but nothing else happened.

Texturally, this was too simplistic. The textures were also muddy, with the pad (though its tone sounded decent) cluttering up the soundfield. You've set a somewhat different mood, but the overall structure and approach wasn't too interpretive. Add more ideas to the arrangement, especially in the second half so you're not just retreading the same ideas, and do what you can to make the instrumentation more sophisticated.

NO

This hews awfully close to the original, it's pretty much a more lush version of the source. I caught two places where the melody deviated, but otherwise, there wasn't anything new here. Sure, your background sounds nice but it's got to be more interpretive than this for OCR. Even the mood is similar. It also needs to be less static; consider dropping some of the background elements for a few measures, or changing up the pads and percussion you use.

The instrument that first enters at 0:15 is hard to hear and something that cuts through would suit the song more. The distorted synth lead at 0:40 is a little better, but a little too harsh for the gentleness of the rest of the song.

Overall, I felt like this was put together hastily once you established the nice groove. It runs on cruise control, as Larry likes to put it. It needs more variety, more deviation from the source, and more time spent on making the sounds work together.

NO

The Oji'isim "cruise control" certainly applies to this. I do agree that this is way similar to the original, but it's pleasant. It really doesn't change throughout, and besides a sound upgrade, there isn't a lot on the table.

Sorry dude, i dig the vibe, but it's not expanded on enough. Adding some new structure, some counterpoint, some rhythmic changeups, the possibilities are pretty extensive, so pick a direction and go for it! :-)

no

I must agree with my good colleagues on this one. Having remixed this myself for the DKC2 project, this is almost like listening to the actual source to check I remembered it right.

Nice enough to listen to and with a chilled groove but nothing really done to differentiate it from the original other then some timbre changes (pleasant though they are).

NO