Castlevania SotN - Lost Painting Prayer

NeonHyena

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?qbjguyqqfgm

Sources:

Lost Painting: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-h3BG94IoBA

Prayer:

Lost Painting Prayer.

This WIP is a mixing together of two of my favorite tunes from Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. 'Lost Paintings' and 'Prayer'. In the second half is a small addition to the two tunes.

The mix is fairly minimal, with the emphasis being on the synch of the two separate tracks.

Enjoy!

Ah, thank you muchly, evktalo, for taking the time to give me a response after having a listen.

It seems, in the other WIP submissions I've made, that my mixes generally sound muddy, because I like to use a lot of different layers at once. Perhaps the minimal channels on this one makes for easier listening?

I'd like to suggest a listening assignment:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Riw7j9b8fM8

Listen to the mix, the rythms, the pacing, and how the instruments can convey power through composition, layering, and articulation.

At the moment, your work is quite plodding and the drums feel quite disconcerted/confused--mostly do to dynamics.

When you move at this pace, you want to imbue your work with some atmosphere.

Even the smoke or cloud or fog is easier to grasp than the space you spread your instruments across.

Make us feel something.

Poor Phil can't drum no more cause of his back....sad....

Anyways. dannthr is right though about how well the song is layered and how the way the instruments are played/written convey the power he wants to convey.

It seems some of the instruments are very dry right now. There's hardly any, if any at all, reverb and delay. Its understandable though, cause its a WIP. Think about adding some slight reverb and delay to that acoustic sounding instrument playing from the beginning. Then add some delay to both the lead instruments to give them a slightly fuller sound. The drums do seem very disconcerted. The beat itself isn't too bad, but I can see that you wanted them to kinda be in background though. Try EQing them. Actually, try EQing everything away from everything else. Try raising the highs slightly on the drums to help bring them out a little more. Then raise the mids on of the other instruments and lower the mids on the other one. Only slightly to help seperate them more. I'm not sure if you plan on making this longer or not. Its kinda the same length and follows the source almost note for note. That's not a bad thing, but it doesn't really make it a remix. Not just yet.

Try those tips out first, and then maybe think about adding a nice slow acoustic solo towards the end of what you've already.

I'd like to suggest a listening assignment:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Riw7j9b8fM8

Listen to the mix, the rythms, the pacing, and how the instruments can convey power through composition, layering, and articulation.

At the moment, your work is quite plodding and the drums feel quite disconcerted/confused--mostly do to dynamics.

When you move at this pace, you want to imbue your work with some atmosphere.

Even the smoke or cloud or fog is easier to grasp than the space you spread your instruments across.

Make us feel something.

Yeah the soundscape needs WAY more filling out. Big reverb effects, cool percussion SFX, choirs, some form of beat - orchestral or African percussion - something!! The key word here is atmosphere - set up a mood and fill out the sparceness, cuz otherwise, this comes off as bland and overly simplistic. Yes, there is minimalistic music - even piano solos at OCR, but they compensate that by having complex melodies and so forth; however this is, as Dannthr put it, simply plodding along.

Sorry if I came off harsh or whatever, but it's WAY better to listen to the workshop ppl than to have to deal with the judges when they finally get to your work. They can be equally blunt if not worse than here.

• 2 weeks later...

New Version:

http://www.mediafire.com/?xzbzdzev5di

dannthr: I've added a lot to this new mix that should hopefully fill the void.

jabond23: I've added delay and reverb as you had suggested. I enjoy the sound more this way, too.

I've added drums substantially, also, despite that the original intention was to leave that open.

HoboKa: Hopefully the drums that I've added, as well as the amount of melodies added help to fill in that atmosphere.

I've also added a lot of new melody that will hopefully fill this in as more of a remix than an homage.

I've tried to equalize as suggested, though I'm not sure if I'm getting it right. I've got a very good equalizer at my disposal (Parametric EQ 2 - FL Studio 8.) and I've watched tutorials.

Thanks very much to all three of you for the advice. In terms of getting feedback, this thread has been very successful thus far over some other ones.

Peace

• 2 weeks later...