The Protomen - Act II: The Father of Death

The Vagrance

It apparently came out yesterday digitally (though I think the physical copy comes out later this month) and I'm currently listening through it. They're really fleshing out their epic sound for this one from what I can tell, and it works, especially in a live environment (their set at Bonnaroo was fantastic).

Anyone else listened to it?

I pre-ordered the CD and still await the awesomeness in the mail. I've waited for years for this! Their premier album is still one of my favorites and gives me chills when I listen to it. The CDs should be mailed out late this week.

THIS CD WILL START SHIPPING END OF THE WEEK OF SEPTEMBER 8, 2009 BUT NOT BEFORE THAT DATE.

The CDs should be mailed out late this week.

Ah, I guess thats what I get for not keeping my ear to the ground on Protomen-related news.

Anyway, just listened through the album and thought it was really good; not the greatest album ever or even that I've heard in the past month (Mew's album No More Stories... is an absolutely phenomenal piece of art), but its a really solid release with plenty of great moments of its own, a solid 8+.

There's a 3-song stretch that kinda drags on and some songs the band focuses too much on the style as first shown in "The Stand" on their last album (which IMO isn't as good as some of the other songs on the album) but overall anyone who is a fan won't be disappointed and they're showing clear progress in their sound and sound as polished as ever, though I wish they went more places with their "futuristic spanish western" sound towards the beginning of the album as opposed to the "Top Gunx10000" sound that composes most of the album.

All of that said, "The Hounds" and the 3-song stretch that starts with "Breaking Out" is phenomenal and I can't wait to see them perform those live again.

• 2 weeks later...

My album finally arrived yesterday. Trés awesome!

You have to buy the physical album and read the book as you listen to the music to fully comprehend the story and know what's going on, especially during the instrumental segments.

...I wish they went more places with their "futuristic spanish western" sound towards the beginning of the album as opposed to the "Top Gunx10000" sound that composes most of the album.

I agree with you, there. I loved the quasi-western/tech-noir they had going in their first album, and in the early portion of Act II. It really sets the scene. I still plotzed when I heard the album, though. I think the different styles are a way to differentiate the older, more grizzled life of Dr. Light from Joe, the younger, hot generation; as well as the old city vs the new.

I also noticed that Act II is at the top of Amazon's opera album sales.

So far I'd have to say that my favorite track from the album is The Good Doctor, those last lines from Dr. Light...I want to cry from the sheer awesomeness...

They've waited so long for this day.

Someone to take the death away.

No son should ever have to say,

My father worked into his grave.

Men sleep tonight with hands of bone.

They will awake with hands of steel.

And with these hands we will destroy.

And with these hands we will rebuild.

And we will stand above our city,

rising high above her streets.

From tops of buildings we will look

at all that lies beneath our feet.