Strange MIDI Controllers and other odd electornic instruments

theshaggyfreak

For some reason, I've always been fascinated by electronic instruments and controllers that outside of the normal crowd of keyboards and noise makers. Hell, I still have an affinity towards keytars even though they can be quite ugly. With the way technology is going, we're getting some really interesting gadgets these days. Here's some of my favorites from the past and present:

Moog Liberation: I've wanted one ever since I first heard that Moog made a keytar back in the day. Right now they have one at Atomic Music but it's rather out of my price range.

The Continuum: I think this thing is ingenious!

Zendrum: This is another idea that I think is really cool. I've seen a few people play them and they can be quit expressive instruments.

I'm in the process of building my own synth but I have yet to decide what controller to use with it. Since it's 100% analog I'm either going to need a CV keyboard or a MIDI/CV converted. I'm sure it'll be a while before it's all finished but I think it'll be fun to play once it's done.

What are some of your favorite oddities?

I've never understood what the continuum was... I've seen it used with KYMA, but otherwise, wtf is it?

It's a touch board midi controller. The notes are somewhat set up like a piano. Velocity, though, is controller by where your finger is located on the touch board. Towards the bottom is softer and the top louder. I believe it also has aftertouch as well.

uh, there's no liberation there. I think you included the wrong link. But if you want to see a music video with gratuitous Moog Liberation shots, try

I'm in the process of building my own synth

bah, where were you when this thread was desperate for responses.

What are some of your favorite oddities?

I have a monome, which is odd enough. I have some videos using it in some unique ways:

-

-

I'm intrigued by the Opal and Axis sonome keyboards. Examples:

-

-

I got to play with an Analogue Systems French Connection once. It's a controller based on the 1920s french synth, the Ondes Martenot. Examples:

-

- Amazing 1920s audio demo of the Ondes Martenot that I can't find at the moment, sorry

cheers.

Woops! Fixed that link for the Liberation. :)

I almost got into a Monome back when I was using Live but I ended up giving up on it. It's a cool device, though.

The Opal looks nifty! Kind of like a button box according layout. I could see something like that being fun.

Speaking of analog synths, check out the Novachord. Apparently this guy completely restored one of these tubed bad boys. I've been meaning to visit his shop when I'm in the area at some point since I believe he's up near Bethlehem, PA.

I almost got into a Monome back when I was using Live

It does go well with Live. Notably, Imogen Heap recently performed on Letterman with a monome interfacing Live. Letterman plays with it and they even make a joke about it. Unreal.

check out the Novachord. Apparently this guy completely restored one of these tubed bad boys

I remember that guy's site. Coincidentally, a bloke on the remix64 boards recently obtained a Novachord. In that thread I linked to an interesting resource:

- 120 Years of Electronic Music

All kinds of bizarre stuff there, like the gargantuan Telharmonium.

cheers.

- 120 Years of Electronic Music

All kinds of bizarre stuff there, like the gargantuan Telharmonium.

cheers.

It's amazing what was built back then. I mean, many people don't know just how old the tech that's in a vocoder is. Granted, it wasn't for musical purposes but still.

I was lucky enough to be raised by a father who was an electrician. So, I was educated about electronics at a young age. While some kids were playing sports, I was learning how to tell the rating of a resistor. I just wish my love for analog synths started at an earlier age.

It's amazing what was built back then. I mean, many people don't know just how old the tech that's in a vocoder is.

Yeah, both the technology and the music as well. Electronic music has a long and interesting history that most folks opening up their copy Reason, FL, Live et al. are depressingly ignorant of. They either don't know, or don't know enough to appreciate what came before them. I recall a section from Ishkur's article on Italo Disco:

Electronic music is one of the few musical forms that has no sense of its own past. Many newcomers to the fold simply are not aware of what came before, and so everything appears fresh and novel ... barely one-tenth of all records have an original idea, melody or sound to them.

Anyway, to get back on topic, earlier today I watched a documentary about the Stylophone:

- http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2009/09/11/stylophone-documentary/

There's a guy around the middle of it that seems right out of a Christopher Guest mockumentary. On the whole it's weird that there even is a documentary about the Stylophone. But it's only 17 minutes, worth a gander.

cheers.

Anyway, to get back on topic, earlier today I watched a documentary about the Stylophone:

- http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2009/09/11/stylophone-documentary/

There's a guy around the middle of it that seems right out of a Christopher Guest mockumentary. On the whole it's weird that there even is a documentary about the Stylophone. But it's only 17 minutes, worth a gander.

cheers.

Oh my! I totally forgot about the Stylophone! I got so excited about these that I just ordered one from Think Geek since they currently have them one sale for $15! It's so cool to see these little guys still being made and even Little Boots is using one! I only recently discovered her and I'm totally diggin her stuff.