Bahamut Lagoon - Epicedium

Grayburg

Source:

Remix: Link

Finally came back to this tune after ages. Trying out a completely different genre for this arrangement. I had my parent's old rock music in mind.

I didn't do much EQ work because I'm always doing it wrong, so I let the instruments sound pretty dry. Well, with a little comp and verb.

Arrangement Qs:

Am I missing out on anything important if I can't work in anything besides C major or A minor (lol white keys)? I hardly ever use notes outside of the scale, and when I do, it's just for some glissando parts. Transpose features on FL and my keyboard spoil me.

I've been having trouble writing syncopated rhythms. When I put on a random chord progression in the background and go off to my keyboard and mash on some white keys, I always play melodies on beat. For this song's piano, I wanted to play some embellishments off beat, but I usually couldn't find a good off beat note. Same problem with the organ section in the middle. Am I just boring, or what?

One quick thing first, might I suggest using something like www.tindeck.com to host your files? I don't know about anyone else, but I freakin hate mediafire because I can't stream the song (unless I'm missing it?) I personally don't like downloading the file to listen to it, but hey, maybe that's just me.

As for your staying in certain scales and transposing, yeah you should really explore other scales just for the simple fact of opening up your musical knowledge and allowing yourself to experiment with other things. I totally understand though because I tend to jump right to C minor when playing piano and E minor when playing guitar. I too sometimes have to force myself to play other keys and just find what else sounds ok.

As for syncopated rhythms, I wouldn't beat yourself up too much about that. Your song sounds pretty good and I'm digging the keyboard lead you have going on it in parts.

Anywho, the song seems like it's basically following the original completely. You're of course using different sounds and the drum pattern you put in and whatnot, but I think most will agree that you'll need a little more original material based off the music fit in there.

All in all though man, you're doing just fine.