*NO* Cave Story 'Rainy Balcony'

Palpable

Timotayo

Robben Munoz

game-Cave Story

tracks- "Balcony" & "Gestation"

composer- Daisuke Amaya

*- Hello everyone. I hope it is at least listenable.

I think "Balcony" is my favorite track from Cave Story. It comes near the end, when you reach the top of the floating island. I remember when I first played the game, and I reached that area, this melody played.

I was sure that I had just began my adventure and that I was to explore the entire surface of the island. But it was the final area. Either way, the music was captivating. I think it stood in complete contrast with the first area of the game, where the track "gestation" played. Both were quiet but "gestation" was for the world below the island; moody, atmospheric. "Balcony" was was hypnotic and relaxing.

I wanted to capture that sort of repetitiveness and otherworldy-ness. So I tried to remain faithful but then slowly add small variations in the beat and stuff.

Also, this song makes me think of rain. I like rain. But only light rain. Not bad rain. Bad rain is unpleasant. Light rain is nice.

So I added the sound of hard rain and wind in the beginning because it would be windy on the balcony.

At the end I wanted to bring in the melody of gestation, because...i like it?

I'm not sure if the sound is too soft or not. I didn't want anything to jump out or overpower or anything like that so everything is pretty even.

Um, I think that's it.

-Timotayo

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I didn't hear Gestation in this at all, even knowing it was used towards the end, but Balcony was used heavily, the bassline present nearly the entire time.

I liked the atmosphere but it seemed complacent and too slow to build, even though there was evolving throughout. Some of the chiptunish elements also conflict towards the end, and in general, the mix was low-heavy. The thing is all of these "issues" were likely intentional on your part; it fits the mood of a gloomy rainy day. I feel like even if it may be successful in what you were trying to accomplish, Robben, and might work as background music, it doesn't work as an OC ReMix. Others may disagree and I'd like to hear what they have to say.

NO

I think this super hypnotic, and works decently as background music. The issue I have with the arrangement is that though there is texture and development, it doesn't sound like it has a clear destination. The percussion doesn't drive the arrangement at all, and some of the repeated motifs sortof grate on me, specifically the lofi synths near the end. Production was a bit muddy, but that almost reinforces the theme.

This definitely suits today, as it's gloomy and rainy right now outside, and it's a very good tone poem, but I don't think OCR is the place for this track.

Sorry :-(

no

Yeah, quite the pickle here, this one. It's very Cave Story-ish indeed, I can definitely hear the influences of the source tunes. In short though, it's primarily five minutes' worth of music built around a couple simple sine riffs. The drums are cool for atmosphere, as is the rain FX, but I'm not convinced this song should have been 5 minutes. Great mood music, but not entirely captivating as a stand-alone piece.

I'd sure love to hear this in game, though!

Keep at it, bro!

NO