Bojan Kabaj

couldn't locate my userid number :(

SUBMISSION INFORMATION:

---------------------------

Metroid

Cosmic Ambiance (Metroid title theme)

ABOUT THE COMPOSITION:

--------------------------

Metroid games are full of beautiful and mesmerizing melodies, but the one that really stood out for me was the main theme that plays at the title screen of the first game. I am not that good at recreating melodies, but I think I did a good job at enhancing this one. I chose to stick with the first few seconds of the tune, since it is my favorite part. Anyway, this is the best I could do at the time since I personally don't own a studio to work in and my hard drive "died" before I could do more tweaks on this remix. Even though I'm personally pleased with it, I find that I could have improved much more upon it. Some of you may notice that I've used the SNES thunder sound instead of a real one, which I find more fitting. The beat is a bit on the basic side and is also my main weakness. I hope to improve on some segments of music making in the future. This submission got good reviews on some forums and some of the people motivated me to try submitting here on O.C.R. I hope you like it for what it is, cheers :)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.zophar.net/download_file/14324 - Track 1

Compared to the original, this is maximalist, but I shouldn't harp at your title. :-P Initially, I was a little leery of the approach of using just the opening six notes, but there was a fair amount of material added. I'd argue that sometimes you get too far away from the melody though; with so much else going on, the piano takes a background role a lot of the time, and even the chords are new. To be honest, I'm not sure whether that is a dealbreaker in and of itself, but the arrangement got repetitive with so many patterns holding for so long, and together that's enough that I want to pass on it.

The production sounded pretty good, parts clicking together. Something to wet up the bass would have been nice, but this makes fine background music. With more detail, more variety, and especially if you could include more source, this would be a winner.

NO (resubmit)

That bass was really up in front- a little too much so, and it was distracting until a lot more elements entered. Other than that, i think the production was passable. The lofi thunder i'm not totally sold on, but it didn't affect the piece negatively, and the theme of it was a cool idea.

Arrangement is where it gets tricky. Considering you added a ton to the original, there's plenty of interpretation and expansion, but i think in a lot of sections, the 6 note melody gets lost in all your additions. I think even mixing in some subtle motifs from the game as additional elements would make this a lot more clear cut, and less repetitive.

As is, it is pretty close, but I think making a few minor tweaks would get this one in. :-)

no, please resub

• 3 weeks later...

The bass could definitely stand to be pulled back just a notch or two, but it wasn't like outrageously loud I tough, just a bit louder than it should have been is all.

Don't let OA throw hate on your lo-fi thunder, I think it's awesome, and very atmospheric. So far, it looks like this is shaping out to be a groove track. While I don't mind groove tracks, I do sort of require that they make appropriate use of the the source music. So far the most identifiable part of your remix is the piano riff, and it's not exactly something that you can easily (or should) stretch out into a 5 1/2 minute remix. There's some good ways that you should probably be able to able to work in the additional melodies and countermelodies that the Metroid Title music offers so that it doesn't seem like you've created an entirely original groove track that just happens to feature a brief cameo with the piano playing a few notes from the original theme.

I think the mix is just a little on the hot side, so maybe lower the bass a bit, bring the master down just a hair as well, and then make the rest of the source tune more identifiable, and you should be able to go for a pretty solid resub.

Good luck man, looking forward to hearing it if you do it!

RESUB