*NO* Donkey Kong Country 'Dwelling in the Cavern of Harmony'

Palpable

• My Remixer Name - SynthetiK
  • My Real Name - Steve Kellett

• Name Of Game Arranged - Donkey Kong Country
  • Name Of Song Arranged - Cave Dweller Concert

Comments: The title of my remix is "Dwelling In The Cavern Of Harmony"

This is the first time I have ever remixed a song, but for the past few years i have been using Reason to recreate the Donkey Kong songs the way they sound in the original SPC's. But when i came across this site a few months ago, i decided to use my skills in reason to make a remix. I chose Cave Dweller Concert, as there is a lot to work with and a lot to expand on. And I have always loved the Donkey Kong games and the Super Nintendo since I was a kid, so I just wanted to show my appreciation for it.

When I made this piece, I wanted the listener to feel like they're actually walking from the jungle into the depths of the cave, just like Donkey Kong. As you walk further in, the music builds, setting the feel of what's to come and making you feel like you're really there. I also tried to recreate the same 'dripping' sound as was used in the original to give it the familiarity and that authentic cave sound. My main objective was to bring out the beautiful melodies that often go unnoticed when listening to the original and accentuate them, while making the song more flowing and ambient. I hope you enjoy listening.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://snesmusic.org/v2/download.php?spcNow=dkc - "Cave Dweller Concert" (dkc-06.spc)

Harmony told me he wants you out of his cavern. :tomatoface:

Very nice for a first submission. The arrangement adds to the original melodies by way of new background parts, new chords, sound upgrades. It starts off a little simple but gets more interesting as it progresses. I wasn't a fan of the 3:34-5:11 section though. It broke the flow with all the pauses, and didn't sound as full as the main section. I'm sure you wanted to capture that part of the source, but I didn't think its placement here improved this song. With better transitions and mixing, this section would work.

Production is good for the most part with a couple weak spots. The drums seemed distant and disconnected, I think because of the EQ and reverb settings you used. There's also times the soundscape sounds thin, perhaps a maximizer would help? One other suggestion: I never thought the dripping in the source tune sounded very cave-like, but the sound options for SNES were limited. Would you consider using more realistic waterdrop samples and processing? I didn't mind you trying to recreate the original sounds, but I think more realistic sounds and effects would only benefit this.

A solid track with some very fixable issues, which is better than most first-time submitters offer. Let's see another version of this!

NO (resubmit)

This is a pretty creative and full-formed arrangement that adds a lot of expanded ideas onto the source base. I think the drums are far too heavily delayed, even with the feel you are going for, and it hurts the piece throughout most with the exception of the breakdown. I think this style of production on them works when they are more for texture rather than driving the piece.

The water drips were a bit distracting as well (mainly the delay used again), and the choir sample started to wear thin a bit through, due to a lot of use. It doesn't need to sound realistic at all, but a drone like that should have a bit more character.

I think if you massaged it a bit, so that the notes would crescendo and decrescendo, it'd feel smoother to me, and wouldn't feel so drawn out.

This mix definitely has promise, but I don't think it's quite there yet.

no

• 3 weeks later...
Harmony told me he wants you out of his cavern. :tomatoface:

Get out. Only Dave is allowed to say stuff as terrible as that. :tomatoface:

I'm gonna make this short and sweet. I personally thought his remix was super awesome and cool. No really, I highly dig it!

It just needs to be a little shorter. I didn't mind the fakey droplets, they sort of added to the nostalgia, I suppose. But I think you could manage to cut out about 2 minutes and still have a really stellar mix.

Really solid work for a first submission! Please resub this or I will find you and harass you until you do. If you'd like to tweak it, then PM one of us three and we'll make sure to fast-track it back here to the panel so we're all pretty eager to hear a revised version.

RESUB