Hints About Next Nintendo Handheld (Rumor at this point)

The Damned

http://www.develop-online.net/news/33055/New-Nintendo-DS-powered-by-Nvidia

Really, a Terga chipset for the next DS/GameBoy/whatever? And it's expected for 2010? I know, "rumors, lol", but still, it's about the right amount of time, and the march towards new hardware is never-ending.

I guess we'll find out in about a year...

This is a pretty positive step for Nintendo. The DS's 3d hardware was horrific. The 3d core used a very stripped down variant of openGL, and even worse the small vram size and limitation of only being able to attach to one screen pretty much made any 3d application a living nightmare to code.

I'm honestly surprised how many developers jumped on board. The Nintendo dev kit must have been pretty sexy.

Mind you, Sony has more versions of the PSP than Nintendo has of the DS. Just saying.

I recall an nVidia prototype PMP that used a Terga chip and a camera to do augmented reality gaming from a few months ago. I wish I could remember the name of it, but basically, it had a game where you pointed the camera at a tabletop with a certain shape on it, and it generated a moving, 3D city with buildings. As you bobbed up and down, leaned over and moved around the table, the view on your screen would alter your view of the city. You played as a gunner on a helicopter, and you pressed a button to shoot zombies on the streets below. It was an interesting use of camera and video overlays.

I wonder if we will see something like this from Nintendo. There's already a DSi game called Ghostwire, that uses the camera to put images of ghosts of the screen, so it's not too unlikely to see more of that in the future.

Great, so now instead of Wii-motes, we might be waggling expensive tegra-powered DS2's at the tv screen. Much easier to break a big-screen that way, and honestly, I know of one person who's used the wrist-strap on their DS/lite/i.

To be honest, I really hope they don't go too much in the Wii-style area on a portable. I know all we're making now is speculation, and I'm assuming quite a lot here, but I'd much rather them upgrade the DS with this technology to a larger sceen with better touch support, possibly improved graphics, but at the very least I would expect them to continue with backwards compatibility. Glad I didn't get a DSi if it does come out next year.

No, wait, I got it! A Tegra-powered VirtualBoy2! NOW WITH MORE RED.