*NO* Double Dragon 'The Walls Attack'

Palpable

ReMixer: Peter Felix Armstrong

Site: www.myspace.com/thefelixstudio

UserID: 29467

Original Composer: Yoshihisa Kishimoto (?)

This is the opening theme for Mission 4 for the NES version of Double Dragon. My title is "The Walls Attack".

This is in ABA form. The piece opens with a nod to the NES' capabilities of 3 oscillators, 1 white noise, and a 1 bit sample. The main theme is stated in three sections. This is followed by an extended guitar solo that follows the musicality (A harmonic minor + A minor blues) of the main theme.

The tone on the guitar solo was made possible by running a guitar through an Electro Harmonix POG and then into the Line 6 POD and then straight into the computer. No whammy pedal was used.

Following the solo, the theme is restated with some slight changes in the instruments. The song ends with another nod to the NES sound.

The original NES Double Dragon music was unique in many ways. On the turnaround in Mission 3 there is a wild LFO usage that I haven't heard on any other game. The inspiration for this piece was the music itself, part metal, part fugue. It is playful and yet menacing. I enjoyed the process thoroughly.

I thank you for taking a look at my work and I hope you find it worthy of acceptance into the OC Remix Community.

~Peter Armstrong

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.zophar.net/download_file/13629 - Track 7

The arrangement is fun, a sort of carnival rock thing. I would have liked for the new sections to integrate more of the source, and the source sections to integrate more of the new, but production is really what sinks this. It comes off sounded very general MIDI-like because of the rigidness and the fact that the parts sound too disparate, the drums sound like they're in a different room than everything else. There was also a real lack of mid-frequency content, you've got some backing guitars at 0:43 but they aren't loud enough and aren't there most of the time. Not a bad showing, but room to improve.

NO (resubmit)

First off, excellent guitar chops, that solo was sick! :-)

Arrangement is pretty close to being a straight up cover, but there are some additional sections and such. I think Vinnie nailed it when there should be a little more bleed of source into the solo sections, maybe add some counterpoint in there, and for some more variation of the source when you are playing through. The ending was also kindof weak, either a smoother fade or a proper ending would be much better than how it pans out right now.

Production is indeed the real issue though. The drums are overpowering a lot of stuff, and the other elements sound puny compared to them. The rhythm guitars need to be brought up, and I can't hear if they are being doubled and hard panned, but that would really help beef this up. The synth playing could stand to be humanized a bit as well, right now it is pretty rigid. The leads sounded good, and the rhythm tone was ok, but the levels were all off.

I'd refine the soundfield a bit and spice up the arrangement a little more, and then give it a second submission, I think this has some promise. :-)

no, resub

• 4 weeks later...