*NO* Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 'Requiem of a Legend'

djpretzel

I'm kind of borderline on this. There's nothing technically wrong with this; sounds a bit low, that's all. I think though, that the arrrangement plods a bit. The percussion is really nice, but everything else is pretty average. The melody repeats for a long time, and when other bits of ocarina songs come in, they sound obligatory. That's the problem with mixing the ocarina songs; you need to find a way to make it not boring.

I enjoyed bits of this; mostly the percussion track, but apart from that, it's a bit lifeless. Sounds more like backing to something with lyrics than its own song.

Borderline NO

You've got some interesting instrumentation happening here, but often said instrumentation is a bit too sparse to keep attention. It suffers from the medley curse a bit, sounding like jointed songs rather than integrated songs. Some samples are pretty nice, others quite not so.

The percussion samples are effectively chosen with nice attention to timbre. However, sometimes certain samples (shaker, most notably), sound much louder than the rest of the drum mix. A bit more use of compression on the drum track might have alleviated some balance issues. Other than that, certain sections like the panning fast hand drums show a good bit of skill in percussive arrangement.

The individual sections of each song are quite seperated, and the transitions need much more attention. Between each part there is a void of any kind of connecting phrases. Try to keep the piece sound like a fluid experience. In the context of this song, some drum fills or rythymic chord changes to link the musical ideas together.

The pizzicato strings, and strings in general are very GM MIDI-esque. An increase in their sound quality would greatly help. The "knocking" sound at the end is a bit jarring and could have used some filtering or EQ to make it a bit more pleasant.

Work on keeping your phrases connected a bit more on sound quality. This is a great mix in a mediocre mix's body.

NO

-D

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds are nice. The original had a chord progression though. This one doesn't. It sounds neutered, musically. Sonically, it's fine. And while I applaud your challenge, that being to include all of the little ocarina tunes in one song (The professionally orchestrated version is incredibly pathetic, so don't feel too bad), it's more of a gimmick and some didn't seem as smoothly inserted as others. Anyway, back to the lack of chord progression. This doesn't have it. The bass essentially stays the same as a pedal tone the whole time. That bothers me enough to give this a NO.

D