*NO* Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening 'Shrine of Worship'

djpretzel

Greetings fellow OCers and remixers!

I just recently remixed the "South Face Shrine" song from The Legend of Zelda:

Link's Awakening for gameboy. It was my favorite song from the game so I thought I'd give it a shot. This is my first submission for OC and I'm excited ~_^.

URL of song:

Title: The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening "Shrine of Worship"

Artist handle: -iLluSiON-

Artist name: James Doyle

Artist email: u_j2doyle@umassd.edu

Artist url:

Thank you for listening!

-iLluSiON-

Opening was pretty cool, but the levels get kinda crowded when everything comes in. Everything is vying for my attention. Drums, synth, flute, every thing is pushed right to the forefront. The drums are pretty repetitive too, and sound pretty unnatural for the kit you used.

Much too short too. It could use a lot of development. The groove you have right now is pretty cool; just work on your levels, expanding the arrangement a bit more, and fixing up those drums.

NO

I agree with everything my compatriots have said thus far. So rather than rehash what they've said, allow me to expand upon it. Everything in the main section of the song is at the same level. It creates a level of complexity that isn't very appealing to the ear. What we want is a heirarchy. Flute is superior to synths is superior to drums (or however you wish to align them). The point is that the ear is like the eye. Image "seeing" this song, everything at the same intensity, everything clamoring for attention. But if you order things in terms of volume, attack, decay, release, etc... it's all so much easier (and more pleasant) to absorb.

So, yeah. Fix it up gooder. That's my helpful critique o' the day.

NO