*NO* Metroid 'Dark Planetside'

djpretzel

Well, this is my second submission and it has been 3 weeks, but I hope I'm not breaking any rules in that I don't even know if you've listened to the last one yet!

The idea here was to start dark and ominous and slowly creep out of it, sort of like the Metroid title screen does... I played more with synth sounds and heavy texturing... it's all new to me from the creation side of things. I never thought I'd be able to get the results I've been getting with Apple's GarageBand and I'm really pleased. I am starting to hit some limitations, but it has all been worth it for the shallow learning curve that has gotten me into this.

I've been able to add a couple free audio units instruments and drum kits to flesh out the sounds a little.

I'm anxious to hear about my first submission and now I'll just have to be twice as anxious!

Aaron Sullivan

Amy Sullivan

aka Amaron

John Woo presents... Metroid... staring Uma Thurman as Samus and that dood who plays Agent Smith as Mother Brain!

It's a pleasant little remix. True, it doesn't really push any boundaries or "TAKE IT TO DA LIMIT", but for a sophomore effort (technically, a first) I think it's charming. I personally would like hear a bolder, more fleshed out sound that what's currently coming through my speakers. Maybe a few more risks here and there. The ending is pretty sketchy, from the fortissimo building up of the strings to the oddly punctuated last notes. But on the whole, I like it enough to give it my sticky sweet seal of approval.

YES

Much better submission than the first one, the castlevania one, right?

Much better synth programming and attention to arrangement detail.

Percussion is nice, but given the still relatively low quality level of instrumentation, I can't help but think that it's a drumloop. And these drumloops are nothing more than static presence to attempt and liven up what appears to be a direct transcription of the original.

The arrangement, while plenty dense with interesting musical ideas and timbres, seems to jump around quite a bit, with no definite focus to their purpose. Some embellishments border on total inneffective dissonance, and often cut through pretty harshly with their grating digital synthetic nature. Interesting filter effect on the strings, and a poignant transition to piano. Good work there.

Overall, this mix lacks a clear focus and defined instrumentation to give the additions justice and the rearrangement a clear presentation. The trancey lead cuts through and above EVERYTHING, just one of several mastering issues that need attention. The mix builds up and drops down several times without any real rhyme or reason, giving me a sense of letdown and confusion several times.

A solid effort, with interesting rhythmic additions and harmonic alterations. More attention to mixing and mastering details, along with more consistent arrangement presentation would kick this one up several notches. With such a familiar and overmixed tune, you've really gotta stand out. This has the potential to do so, but it needs a much cleaner demeanor. Polish this pig, resubmit.

NO

-D

A solid effort, with interesting rhythmic additions and harmonic alterations. More attention to mixing and mastering details, along with more consistent arrangement presentation would kick this one up several notches. With such a familiar and overmixed tune, you've really gotta stand out. This has the potential to do so, but it needs a much cleaner demeanor. Polish this pig, resubmit.

NO

-D

I agree. This is also much better than your last submission. Take DB's advice and I would give this a yes. Borderline NO.