Remixer Info

Remixer Namer: Kaznasty

Email: kaznasty@gmail.com

Forum userid: 29812

Submission Info

Game Arranged: Super Metroid (SNES)

Song Arranged: Lower Norfair

Additional Info: Final Metroid game in the pre-Prime era trilogy

Original Soundtrack: n/a (not sure where I got this)

Comments: I usually stick with hip-hop but I started off making drum n bass back in 1999-2002. I made this in about 2007 as a revisit to my old genre. I started off with the MIDI for the game and manipulated in in Reason 2.0. The majority of the toned sounds (ie, non-drums) come from a "chaos" soundfont through the NN-XT machine. I'm not sure how much of the drums are original as I made this 2 years ago but I have a habit of making most of my own drum loops so there's a good chance it's made by hand.

--------------------------------------------------------------

http://snesmusic.org/v2/download.php?spcNow=sm - "Norfair Ancient Ruins Area" (sm-26.spc)

No offense to Chad, but this is a perfect example of a song that marginalizes the source in favor of some really cool original stuff. I really like those drums, great programming and sound, but the source is completely lost under it. It needs to be more integrated into the piece, I think it's even out of sync at times. The bass also clashed with Norfair, so that's something else against this. Not much else to add!

NO

Additional Info: Final Metroid game in the pre-Prime era trilogy

LoL!!~ Thanks for the info.

Palp is right. There is no real arrangement here. It's the original with drumbreaks over it. and I do mean OVER it. The levels are indicative of the issue with this submission. The drums are louder, and frankly way more important than anything else. Breakbeat stuff does tend to be mixed like that, but in this case, it's too much, especially considering that the drum samples used are kind of...idunno, not great. there's a lot of room in the recording, but it's not a good room. sounds like a bedroom recording.

NO

Whoa. Yeah, when the drums came in at :56, they were a completely different fidelity than the rest of the instrumentation, way too loud over the key parts, and thus not integrated at all with the rest of the arrangement.

Trying to mentally remove the drums to focus on the arrangement, the arrangement of the source should have been more fleshing out. The mood was a bit different than the original on that level, but I couldn't really hear much part-writing beyond the drums & leads. Not really any substantive supporting writing to speak of, and, when exposed, the sample quality of the leads was only decent as far as the tone and sequencing.

Once you got to 3:00, there wasn't really anything new going on with the writing, so there was a lot of fat that could have been trimmed, or the arrangement could have evolved more with some new ideas/development.

This track is likely a done deal, but I'm interested in hearing what you could do going forward with these general criticisms in mind.

NO