Essential iPod apps

BardicKnowledge

My wife and I just got 32GB iPod Touches for ourselves, and want to know what the best apps are. We're especially interested in FREE stuff to download, but go ahead and throw out stuff to pay for also.

Currently, we have Skype (the main reason to get them, actually), Facebook, Pandora Radio, and Google Earth. What else do we have to have to get the fullest use out of our new toys?

I LOVE Pandora Box. It tells you when paid apps are on sale for a reduced price or even for free. If you have an app that you really want, but don't want to pay the current price, you can bookmark it in Pandora Box and it will notify you when it goes on sale.

I got Convert Bot for unit conversions, it's normally $0.99 (I got it for free when I saw it on Pandora Box!)

I don't know if you're studying Japanese or anything, but there's a Japanese dictionary app called Kotoba! that's free. It translates to and from Japanese in several different languages. One of the very first apps I got and has helped me immensely in my Japanese language studies.

I also find that many people are interested in battery life apps and flashlight apps. I use Battery LED for battery life and Lamp CL for my flashlight. Battery LED gives you estimates for battery life under several different conditions, like gaming, wifi, music playback etc. and doesn't look bad, like several other battery apps, while doing it. Lamp CL is really simple, it just lights up the entire screen in a color you choose.

WiFinder is essential; a much better interface for finding Wifi signals floating around.

Tweetdeck for Twitter is great if you use that. Syncs with desktop client.

Comics by Comixology is cool, it's like an iPod comic book store with lots of free stuff.

Baseball Superstars is probably the game I play the most on my iPod; I have '09, but '10 is out and I've heard that's better. Actually pretty much any game by Gamevil is worth grabbing.

AuroraFeint (and related games like Tower Puzzles) is another fun game.

There are some cool Final Fantasy tower defense games like Crystal Defenders and Vanguard Storm (the second one is like Plants vs. Zombies).

You can also grab Tyrian, it's been ported.

Amazon's Kindle app is pretty nice; they usually have a couple of free books to download.