*NO* Neverwinter Nights 2 'Voices'

Palpable

Hi,

This is a mix I've called "Voices", based on two themes from Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer (original composer: Alexander Brandon). The themes are Academy Combat and Spirit Army Battle; I called the mix "Voices" because there's a central character who (--spoylar alert!!--) has a fragmented soul and occasionally hears the voices of the other fragments in her head, telepathically, because those other fragments inhabit living bodies also. Eventually those other fragments are killed off. So this mix is about the event in which those "voices" die. Wah-wah-wahhh. I thought about calling it "Voices Silenced" or something, but I was afraid that would be way too melodramatic and the mix itself might try to commit suicide. Although, just "Voices" does make it seem like a study on mental disorders, so I'm kind of dissatisfied with the title, nonetheless. If the mix gets serious consideration, I'd be open to advice on this front. Anyways, the info:

Contact Information

Your ReMixer name: filaminstrel

Your real name: Ryan Wong

Your website: n/a

Your userid: 10386 (my forum name used to be filaminstrel as well.. and before that, arthropod, I believe.. but now it's benevolensaurus.. I'd like to change it back to filaminstrel somehow :/)

Submission Information

Name of game(s) arranged: Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer

Name of individual song(s) arranged: Academy Combat/ Spirit Army Battle

Additional information about game:

system: PC (/Mac)

composer: Alexander Brandon

I did post it in the WIP forum before submitting. Got one post of feedback, made some adjustments, re-posted, but didn't get any more feedback.. I figured bumping would be against the rules, so I let my thread die a ronery death. I've made some more adjustments to the mix since then, though.

Anyways, thanks for reading, and thanks for listening!

--------------------------------------------------------------

Hmmm, the piano sounds very rigid and GM-ish, from the perfectly quantized performance to the note velocities to the chorus-y effect on the piano that I remember old soundblaster cards being able to apply.

There is dynamic variation, but you can tell it's being done on the channel, and not on the individual notes. Every note that's being played simultaneously seems to be going at the same velocity. Right around 2:42 where it gets crazy fast, all resemblance to realism is shot :(

I mean, it sounds like meticulous sequencing, but highly at the expense of realism and true dynamic, emotional performance. As I've said before (many times) we don't really mind sequencing, even rigid sequencing if the style calls for it. But this is a solo piano piece (or at least a duet piano piece), and this is a little behind the times in terms of the output quality.

Keep at it, just try to alter note velocities here and there and not rely solely on the channel/master volume to provide dynamic or emotional contrast. And it probably wouldn't hurt to use better samples, I know of several free piano soundfonts or VSTs that sound much better/more realistic than the one you're using. And it also wouldn't hurt to spend some time humanizing your sequencing if you're going for an organic tone, like a solo piano.

NO

arragement is definitely sweet, with some cool ideas brought to the table, but that sequencing is so robotic, it's almost humorous. Humanizing this entire track would be a lot of work, but i think it'd be worth it. Adjusting individual velocities and timing is what needs to happen, but I think the arrangement is strong enough to pass otherwise. My other suggestion is to redo it with harpsichord, where there only is 1 velocity. That way, you'd just have to humanize the timing.

no, resub