Name (and remixer name): Aaron Paul Low

Username on forums: iwriteyourmusics

Thanks for checking it out!

--

APL

--

http://www.aaronpaullow.com

--------------------------------------------------------------

http://snesmusic.org/v2/download.php?spcNow=ct - Track 111 "Secret of the Forest"

I'm on the other side of the fence. This is a cool expansion, but basically sounded like a cover with modern sounds and additional ornamentation that sounded nice but didn't really distinguish this as going beyond a cover with new instruments, IMO. The overall structure and feel of the piece was way too much like the original for me to pass it.

The arrangement basically loops at 2:16 & 4:34. Some structural variation would have been more interpretive. There was some dynamic contrast, but the flow was essentially verbatim with the SNES original. I enjoy the track in a vacuum, and it's a cool cover, but I definitely won't sign off on it here. I don't think this has substantial enough interpretation to stand apart from the original.

NO

I absolutely love this mix, but I gotta side with Larry here. There is some expansion of the theme, but not only is it near-verbatim structurally, but a lot of the instrumentation is the same, and the tempo is very very close as well.

Production was great, and I agree that there is some excellent nostalgia here, but it needs to go beyond the cover level.

no

I've listened to this for the past few days trying to settle for what I'm gonna vote but I always get lost in the track. This would basically be a perfect fit for a remake of Chrono Trigger. However I'm gonna have to side with Larry here. The overall structure, instrumentation and mood of the piece was too similar to the original. Like he also pointed out it basically loops too, taking away some of the initial thrill of supposed interpretation.

Don't get me wrong, I hear your additions but I thought they weren't enough to differentiate this remix enough from the source. You've got a GREAT starting point for shaping this into a more interpretive and personal arrangement though and if you do, I'll be here slapping the good 'ol YES on it.

NO(resubmit)

• 2 weeks later...

Nail in the coffin here. I think maaaaybe if it didn't loop, I'd be ok with this, but it's still very conservative. Same tempo, same structure, similar instrumentation. The new backing writing you added fits like a glove, but there's just not that much of it. Sorry, Aaron. Excellent excellent cover, if you could work more of your own writing into this, it'd be an obvious pass.

NO