2m 10s

Contact Information

Remixer Name

JasonP27

Real Name

Jason Patterson

Email address

Forum UserID

20287 (http://www.ocremix.org/forums/member.php?u=20287)

Submission Information

Name of game arranged

Super Mario 64

Name of individual song arranged

Course 1 / Main Theme

Additional information about game including composer, system, etc.

System

Nintendo 64

Composer

Koji Kondo

Link to the original soundtrack

Source MP3

Your own comments about the mix, for example the inspiration behind it, how it was made, etc.

My grandfather played in a Dixieland band so I've always liked it and I have heard my fair share of it. I always wanted to try to arrange or write a song in the Dixieland style, and one day I heard this Super Mario 64 song going through my head, but in the aforementioned style, so I laid it out as best as I could. I've always thought of jazz, particularly Dixieland, as a sort of "controlled chaos" that can have multiple melodies and rhythms at the same time, yet still have some sort of continuity to it all, and that is what I tried to achieve here. I hope, at the very least, it brings a smile to your face like it does for me.

-------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.zophar.net/download_file/12246 - (05) "Super Mario 64 Main Theme"

I like the arrangement, it's a little conservative but the entirely new feel and the short little bits that you added give this a unique flavor. However, the production wasn't doing it for me. The horns just sound too honky and fake, the drums flat. Room reverb would help this out, but I think better samples and better articulations are what you need. Hope to see another version come our way.

NO (resubmit)

Poor samples, poor, unrealistic articulations, poor balance of the instruments. The concept and time signature change were interesting, but the execution was beginner-ish. This was cover-ish, but did have some stylistic differences. Still, for a 2:10 track, there would need to be a lot more development. This sounds MIDI-ish and would be solid on VGMusic, but even then, sounding MIDI-ish doesn't mean the timing and articulations automatically sound so fake. Needs a lot of TLC, as well as deeper development of the textures and arrangement, to have a fighting chance. I don't think you should bother resubmitting this, but do keep at it as far as making music, because production skills will come with practice.

NO

Decent base for an arrangement. A bit conservative with the melody and the style, but there's a lot of original accompaniment and some melodic interpretation here and there. It's pretty short; I'd like to see this fleshed out more. Production could definitely use a lot of work, I'm with the two fellas above.

NO