*NO* Strangeloop 'Welcome to the Machine'

djpretzel

This is an ambient / experimental remix of the theme song from an old C64 game called strangeloop

The file should be located in

(and I hope that works)

I wish to have it credited to the name: dempefka

My website: http://home.iprimus.com.au/davida2/

All instruments / programming by d. ryan.

I was intending to write a remix for an art installation dunno if Ill ever do that but its a nice thought to hold on to. If it ever goes ahead there might be another version or two heading your way

Info about the author: Brisbane, Australia based sound artist / musician.

You can list this email if you wish.

cheers & take care.

~dave

• 2 weeks later...

I actually like the tones generated for this. Works nicely as ambient music for the most part. The distortion at 1:07 actually seems intentional and the pops and clicks seem to be part of that. Like, vinyl pops sped up almost. As for this overwhelming bass, I don't hear it yet. But maybe it comes in after 2:00. Oh yeah. Yeah it's a bit heavy. I dunno. I'm very relaxed by this particular piece, though as I'm getting towards 3:00 the bass is becoming a bit less bearable. Though that doesn't last long. There IS a glitch at 3:34 which doesn't sound intentional like the distortion. I'm actually kind of torn on this one. But it DOES simply loop again and again, with the addition of some drum work. But on the other hand, I think it functions VERY well as an ambient piece, nearly on the calibre of Steve Roach. I'm going to say:

Fix the overwhelming bass frequencies and the blip at 3:34 and you've got a YES from me. But for now:

NO

I completely agree with Dan on this one. I too am reminded of roach's style on this mix. I think this needs more clever layering. The glassy/bell tones are a bit piercing. You may want to consider EQing that or lowering the volume and blending it with another tone. My other main gripe here is the drums are way too loud, especially around early 3 minutes.

Cool and interesting mix, with a few touch ups as dan suggested and the ones I've mentioned before I would give this a YES. Please consider polishing this up and resubmitting.

Borderline NO