*NO* Raiden 2 'Bossa Nova 2.8'

djpretzel

I am Alluro95, and this is my first submission to the OCReMix archive. You might know me as a MIDI sequencer of music from video games like Super Mario RPG at VGMusic.com. Here is a remix I made purely for fun.

Remix Information

===========

Game of Origin - In-Game Location: Raiden II - Stages 2/8

Year/Publisher: 1993 SEIBU KAIHATSU INC.

Original Composer: Akira Sato

Remix Name: "Bossa Nova 2.8" (two-point-eight)

Remixer: Alluro95

Length: 2min 59sec

Bitrate: 160 Kbps

Other Information: This remix of the song played in Levels 2 and 8 of Raiden II was largely created with help from an old music program called SuperJAM!

using the Bossa style. This remix was created more for fun than anything, and I didn't expect the results here to turn out as well as it did.

The name of the song is a creative play on the style of the music (Bossa

Nova) and the fact that part of the setting of Raiden II takes place in outer space (hence the word "Nova"). The 2.8 comes from the origin in the game in which the song plays (Stages 2 and 8).

Song key is C#-minor

Remixer Information:

Name: Alluro95

E-mail: emra527@hotmail.com

Heheh, bossa nova. Nice.

Impressive. Variation. Fits well with the genre. Everything is groooooooveh.

Fade out sucks.

YES

Tip:

Make longer next time. Fade outs suck.

Did some research. Looks like it turned out too good to be true.

What is SuperJAM?

SuperJAM! (refered to throughout this site as SJam) is a MIDI "jamming" program. The idea is that, rather than composing and arranging all the parts of a musical work, the user can give some basic information to the program -- chords, musical style, general tone or personality of the music, what instruments to use -- and the program will handle the details, generating complete arrangements in real time. The user can modify the arrangements at any level, add a melody, print sheet music using the included Notation Station, and export the song as a MIDI file.

We don't accept mixes done in this fashion.

NO

• 2 weeks later...

I'm picking up distortion all the way through this song. For the majority of the time, actually. And as far as sound quality has come these days, this general midi set isn't going to do it for me. I don't think it would be that hard to find some higher quality samples to replace the ones used. The lead is fine, but mainly because that's a synth anyway. Sound quality aside, the distortion is killing me. It could be an illusion though. The more I listen, the more I'm wondering if it's the distorted reverb on that snare rimshot that's creating that distortion sound at the top of the spectrum. I still can't tell. Oh well.

NO

D

What is SuperJAM?

SuperJAM! (refered to throughout this site as SJam) is a MIDI "jamming" program. The idea is that, rather than composing and arranging all the parts of a musical work, the user can give some basic information to the program -- chords, musical style, general tone or personality of the music, what instruments to use -- and the program will handle the details, generating complete arrangements in real time. The user can modify the arrangements at any level, add a melody, print sheet music using the included Notation Station, and export the song as a MIDI file.

Besides the reasons already mentioned, auto-generated songs = NO

I am not supporting the use of these programs. They are definitely something which should be rejected. Whether this mix uses it in full or to what extent could be open to discussion. The mix could have used it for framework then imported in a midi editor and been completely arranged. There are a lot of variables here where I think it is safer to be cautious and base my vote on complete certainty from facts.

I will vote NO due to the distortion that has been pointed out. I will leave the scope of my review with that and nothing beyond that.