*NO* Super Mario 64 'Merry-Go-Gabber'

Liontamer

* ReMixer name: Shyft

* Name of game arranged: Super Mario 64

* Name of individual song arranged: Haunted Merry-Go-Round

My submission is a gabber/electronic hardcore remix of the eerie carnival music in the ghost house area of Super Mario 64. Friends of mine often tell me that my gabber tracks sound like psychotic circus music, so I decided to create a track in that vein on purpose. Composed and rendered in FL Studio 8 using REFX Vanguard, Sytrus, EastWest Colossus, a few basic small percussion samples, and self made samples from the game.

------------------------------------------------------

http://usf.hcs64.com/Super%20Mario%2064%20(1996)(Nintendo%20EAD)(Nintendo).7z - 13 "Merry-Go-Round"

The source tune from :44-2:01 sounded like a rip of the original with upgraded samples, i.e. didn't sound different enough from the original. Trim that down a lot and get to the gabber portion sooner.

From 2:01-2:48, the droning beat wasn't particularly interesting, but the altered rhythms of the source tune were creative. If that beat could be pulled back, the melodic writing would lead this more, I think without sacrificing the overall feel you're going for. 3:08-4:05 recycled the arrangement. The portion with all the cut-up Mario effects was creative as well, but definitely overused, as well as never used while the source tune was in play, which detracted from the arrangement value. Normally, I don't have an issue with separate original sections, but they didn't thematically piece together well with the arranged sections.

One you've heard one section of the Mario clips and one section of the arranged source, that was basically it. Everything after 2:48 was basically cut-and-pasted and rehashed. You're gonna have to develop the ideas here more substantively instead of just cycling sections. Not my style, but not a bad start. The rhythmic changes to the source were definitely going in the right direction. Keep at it.

NO