Legend of Dragoon - major boss theme

HoboKa

source:

http://www.fileupyours.com/view/218181/LoD_Death_By_Dragon_VerA2.mp3

update 1

http://www.fileupyours.com/view/218181/LoD_Death_By_Dragon_VerA3.mp3

Tried to re-do this one, unfortunately my older project got corrupted, so I lost a lot of good midi data that i won't be able to retrieve. Anyways, I'm trying to do this again - and there's one thing that really irks me - my production generally is bad - but this one is really bad. I don't know how to make this piece not all convulated sounded - I want each track to be able to play without hindering the other too much, yet I've no clue how to do that. Even after 2 + years. I'm a slow learner :?

No replies? But this is HOBOKA people, you all should be tripping over each other to taste the awesomeness.

Anyway.

First thing i'm noticing is lack of bass. you need a bass in there dude, track is really lacking in that department.

As for production, your samples don't sound so bad to me, but the mixing is very muddy.

I think you lead is the worst aspect, you can hardly hear it and the sample is very iffy. All you need is a simple analogue sawtooth wave with some chorus or something for that, would sound great, that lead needs bringing out man :P

you need to sort out the EQ as well. I can't be too specific here as to what you need to change them too - I just tend to fiddle until I get a clean sound - but the organ and the choir are muddying up atm, separate them with panning, and mess with the EQ. What I would suggest if everything is sounding very muddy to do is to bring down the levels on everything, and bring up each one, one at a time, and do little fixes until you get as clear a sound as you can get.

There is also alot of reverb on it that could be toned down to help clear things up.

Listen to zircons monstrous turtles I suggest, thats a sound similar to what your trying to get here, and try and get it as close as you can to that in terms of production. Thats a good source of comparison you can use.

Anyway, thats all i'll say here, would comment on arrangement, but no source.

Keep at it dude :D

Forgot to give you guys the source:

Update:

http://www.fileupyours.com/view/218181/LoD_Death_By_Dragon_VerA3.mp3

did as Willrock said mostly. Added bass, majore EQ and level adjustments. Tried my hand at making a custom synth, sounds a bit cheezy I know, but I guess it'll make a good placeholder for now lol.

So what else needs fixing?

I was gonna comment yesterday but by the time I finished writing my thoughts the forum was shut down for maintenance. lol. Well I can post about the new one. This is an improvement of the last one you made. Everything sounds less distant and more upfront and less reverb drowned. I like the melody of the synth you put in there @ 1:45, but not sure about the synth itself though. lol. I imagine a horn section for that part though, or strings of some type but that's just me.

Oh yeah I like the arrangement. As well. =) Hope you find this a bit helpful.

I was gonna comment yesterday but by the time I finished writing my thoughts the forum was shut down for maintenance. lol. Well I can post about the new one. This is an improvement of the last one you made. Everything sounds less distant and more upfront and less reverb drowned. I like the melody of the synth you put in there @ 1:45, but not sure about the synth itself though. lol. I imagine a horn section for that part though, or strings of some type but that's just me.

Oh yeah I like the arrangement. As well. =) Hope you find this a bit helpful.

Thanks for commenting :D

Yeah I'm def. gonna fix the synth sample and add some more meat to that segment, as well as a few others now that I have some free room. It's sorta sad how easy it really is to make things less clustered - sigh - if I only listened to my betters a while back haha.

Expect to hear an update soon.

Guest housefull

Thank you very much for those great suggestions :)

I'm really embarassed because of that Sax MIDI (unfortunately it is the best one I got)

My MIDI keyboard is old (2004) and I tried to get the best out of it. I'll buy a MIDI IN/OUT

cable so I can change those built-in MIDI sounds.

And....I'm sorry to say that I have already deleted the "ingredients" of the remix.

(Windows reinstall)

I will use your ideas in my next remix, of course. Thank you very much!

I really love it, but maybe thats nostalgia talking. I think it definitely does need a harder bass influence like the original.

I have been coming to this site since 2002 and searching for Legend of Dragoon every couple of months and theres never anything. Finally, someone remixes it AND picks the best song in the game.

Good on you for great taste, both musically and video-game...ly

:) Will be bookmarking this topic. Don't give up this track!

Thank you very much for those great suggestions :)

I'm really embarassed because of that Sax MIDI (unfortunately it is the best one I got)

My MIDI keyboard is old (2004) and I tried to get the best out of it. I'll buy a MIDI IN/OUT

cable so I can change those built-in MIDI sounds.

And....I'm sorry to say that I have already deleted the "ingredients" of the remix.

(Windows reinstall)

I will use your ideas in my next remix, of course. Thank you very much!

I believe this is the wrong place for this. Might wanna get a forum mod to put this where it belongs lol.

I really love it, but maybe thats nostalgia talking. I think it definitely does need a harder bass influence like the original.

I have been coming to this site since 2002 and searching for Legend of Dragoon every couple of months and theres never anything. Finally, someone remixes it AND picks the best song in the game.

Good on you for great taste, both musically and video-game...ly

:) Will be bookmarking this topic. Don't give up this track!

Yeah actually, I'm tempted on organizing a LoD project of some form later on when I get better. Albeit there aren't enough midis to rip to make a full project, unless I can recruit ppl who are good at going by ear alone =p

There seems to be a good number here. I can't vouch for their quality http://www.midishrine.com/index.php?id=92

also I put these 2 together in less than 30 seconds last night but I think its fitting XD www.cttv.us/brill.mp3

I always thought it was a rap beat!

Wow, did you actually do the vocals here??

If so, I could revamp my remix to make it more rap-savvy =p