*NO* Chrono Trigger 'Trip to Guardia' *RESUB*

Liontamer

Original Decision: http://www.ocremix.org/forums/showthread.php?t=18014

My god it was a pleasure to see such positive feedback, I didn't check that till now, I hope it's not too late to submit this!!

Your ReMixer name: Zardonic

Your real name: Federico Agreda

Your website: http://www.myspace.com/djzardonic

Your userid (number, not name) on our forums, found by viewing your forum profile: 14198

Submission Information

Name of game(s) arranged: Chrono Trigger

Name of individual song(s) arranged: Main Theme + Guardia Forest

Hope to see a YES soon man! I'm more than happy to contribute to any future projects in OCReMiX, seen a lot of albums comin out lately and I'd love to do something for that.

Best regards,

Federico Agreda

-------------------------------------------------------------

http://snesmusic.org/v2/download.php?spcNow=ct - "Secret of the Forest" (ct-111.spc)

The groove is cool, but core beats hardly varied for nearly the whole 5 minutes, and it still drags, unfortunately. There was one good dropoff and that was basically it. Some rhythmic variations with the melody could have cool, and better dynamic contrast would have helped; just something to keep things fresh.

I wouldn't have drastically altered the overall structure from the last version. What you ended up doing was cutting some stuff and replacing it with another 2-minute section that still ended up sounding extremely repetitive.

2:55-on basically sealed why the changes didn't work. There was melodic interpretation, but it wasn't melodious at all and didn't sound cohesive with the beats and "Secret of the Forest" countermelody. The track also sounded way too compressed, and nothing had room to breathe.

Give the parts more room to be heard and go for subtle but more comprehensive variation of the writing and parts throughout the piece, and I think you'd have a fully realized piece. If you'd rather move onto something new, that's cool. Your track have a lot of energy and power, so I'm looking forward to hearing more from you, Federico!

NO (resubmit)

I disagree on the arrangement front. For the most part I like the interpretation, and I think the section starting around 2:25 works; things lock together harmonically. My only gripe is that around the end we just get a long vamp into the end. I think you need to alter things more sonically if you're just going to iterate the same phrases over and over again.

As for production, this mix is pretty balls-to-the-wall for the entire time; I agree that things need room to breath, although I love the energy in this piece. Your lead stays pretty static throughout, maybe some switching off to something less buzzy would help in areas.

I didn't vote on the last one, but as for this one, I think you're on the right track; just needs a little more and you're good. NO, resub.

Larry pretty much nailed what I was going to say. The mix is crowded, over-compressed. It's a shame because it really limits the dynamics you could have going on here. The lead felt a bit bland, some kind of modulation at times? Filters? Vibrato? Gating? Anything like that, tastefully done, would help keep it from being a static buzzing sound and become more musical.

The core beats are still a bit too repetitive, just because it's D'n'B influenced doesn't mean you can't do some small variation. The arrangement overall was still a bit dragging, like Larry said. The new changes were a good try but didn't work. The counter melody clashes a lot with the minor-based lead.

Sorry to say you still have a bit to go. I'd love another resub though, show this some more TLC!

NO(resubmit