New AAI:Miles Edgeworth Great Revival Hard Rock Remix...

TheUllas

Hey guys! I've finished my Miles Edgeworth - Great Revival Hard Rock Remix.

Link below

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YK_ZI-55R6E

Please comment etc.

progress.gif

Not an OCRemix, dude. Don't claim it to be one, especially on youtube where people would actually believe you.

Also, it's repetitive with the same thing over and over again. :)

Drums are clinically uninteresting. Guitars follow the melody with barely any variance. The heavy distortion is the only 'new' thing here that would allow this to qualify as a remix and not just a change of instruments. Changeup around 1:10 is jarring and unpleasant.

Right now it sounds like Great Revival with new samples. Arrangement side needs some love.

PRODUCTION

[ ] Too loud

[x] Too quiet

[x] Low-quality samples

[ ] Unrealistic sequencing

[x] Generic/cliche sound choices

[x] Drums have no energy

[x] Overcompressed (pumping/no dynamics)

[x] Mixing is muddy (eg. too many sounds in the same range)

STRUCTURE

[ ] Lacks coherence overall (no "flow")

[x] Not enough changes in sounds (eg. static texture, not dynamic enough)

[x] Pace too plodding

[x] Too repetitive

[ ] Too short

[ ] Abrupt ending

PERSONAL COMMENTS

I'm not familiar with the original, but I can honestly say this is not a very interesting mix.

The drums do next to nothing, which is a killer for hard rock. The guitars sound too muddy/generic/messy. The overall composition is too repetitive. Not enough happens. I know you're claiming it's finished, but I'd consider going back to the mixing at the very least to address some of the bigger issues. Probably into the composition as well to at the very least fix the drums.

• 2 weeks later...
No, you don't have to learn how to rewrite any stuff.

You need to learn how to write YOUR OWN stuff. :-)

This, to a degree. Things like counterpoint melodies and harmonies (sometimes even things as simple as changing the time signature) can make any mix new. You don't need to rewrite melodies, you just need to work around them in a way that brings them new life.

For example, with this piece, consider having a rhythm instrument in the pitch you already have. Don't make it play melody except when a specific harmony is called for, instead consider a melody that falls under it in the way that a chord would. Or consider crunchy, rhythmic chords as a background. There's a number of ways to approach it. Then raise the main melody in both pitch and volume (slightly) and find new ways to work within what's there. This is a problem that a lot of people (myself included) have when they start out.

The production values in this also need to go up significantly, it hurts what's there. Play with some frequencies to wash away the mud in the guitar sounds, use different drum samples. Consider reworking the composition. They would help greatly, and you'll feel accomplished after.