I'm Issac

Zipp

I've drawn basically hundreds of nude poses. I have sketchbooks full of them. Art colleges usually commission people to come in nude (or partially nude, we had a couple dudes wear thongs etc.). They stay anywhere from 2 to 4 hours usually, and get paid about 50 dollars per hour. They usually do it once or twice a week, depending.

People draw nudes because the human body is basically the coolest thing, and you are only really going to learn the nuances of muscle and bone and lighting and how things connect and what they look like when you twist and turn them by drawing them over and over.

Sometimes nude models will stay in a pose only for a few seconds and the artists will try to sketch these up as fast as possible to get loose, and practice getting basically the most important information down from the pose. This is called gestural drawing.

Some poses last longer, ten, twenty, thirty minutes. I once drew a man and he posed for about four hours, with a couple breaks. When he came back from his break, we had to talk him back into his pose, and adjust what had changed.

Basically, any good artist, especially in animation and character design, should have drawing from life to reference. The best artists can remember, but its always good to have a reference, especially if you are making cover art for a game and making $$$$$.

/end