PAX East

The Pezman

Welp, I just bought and printed my 3-day pass, so I'm pretty much guaranteed to be there. I had also submitted a panel, but unfortunately it was not accepted for this year. But this does mean I know that panels have been chosen. Is OCR among them, and if not, is the group still planning on going? For how many days?

In terms of transportation, Boston is the hub of many bus and train stops. I will probably take Boltbus, which is good for those in the New York, Philly, or DC areas, or anyone who can get there a day or so ahead. Amtrak is good for those coming from a more southerly East Coast location. Otherwise, flight will get you there. But book tickets soon - there will likely be a mass easterly migration for this thing.

They have also talked about hotels (which I won't be staying in - I have friends in the area) so you can check those out.

I have not been to a PAX before - only MAGFest and Otakon. Which would you say it's closer to? Who's already thinking about a Friday's run?

It's over 2 months away, but if Blind and Jade can plan a meetup for August now, we can certainly start this. Hope to see you there!

I'm registered and paid for. Also trying to get in as Press with my group that does geek news. Now that I'm living in the area, the Hynes is just a few T-stops away from my boyfriends place. Damn convenient, so I'm all for finally meeting people.

Also trying to get Snappleman to come, the pansy.

The Prudential Mall that's attached to the Hynes is smack dab in the middle of everything, but I don't think a Friday's is nearby. The cheapest place for food would be Wagamama's right in the mall, or Legal Seafood. Both are great. Samurai's is across the street for good sushi, too.

I have not been to a PAX before - only MAGFest and Otakon. Which would you say it's closer to? Who's already thinking about a Friday's run?

More emphasis on spectacle than MAGFest or Otakon - tons of game company booths all trying to catch your attention with crazy stuff, probably like most video game expos. But there was also a lot of room for tabletop gaming and DS gaming which made it seem more personal, like MAGFest. It has elements of Otakon and MAGFest, but doesn't quite compare to either. I had a ton of fun at PAX and I will try to make it up for PAX East.

PAX and Magfest are apples and oranges, PAX is really an Expo - Done Right. I went to PAX West this last year and it was nothing short of a stunningly well run, awesome event.

If you're thinking about going to Boston for PAX East, know this: A good chunk of the Magfest crew will be representin', and in fact...

We will be running JAMSPACE at PAX. That's right, we are doing a full on, legit Jamspace in our own room at the convention center. It's going to be awesome.

I put a bunch of details up here:

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=107382

-Dom