Sonic 3 Boss [Hardcore]

Ash44455666

Well, I went for hardcore, but I think I ended up with Hard Trance instead.

Anyways, some matter of days ago I was searching through YouTube and OCR in search of a hardcore (or dance, even) remix of some Sonic 3 music; if I remember right, I searched for sonic 2 stuff as well. While I didn't search all that hard, I didn't really find anything that I found appealing.

Getting to the point, I tried it out myself. Here it is, in its current state. Each version is an improvement upon the last, so the most recent version is at the bottom.

Version 1: Sonic 3 Boss Hardcore remix

Version 2: Sonic 3 Boss Hardcore remix ver2

To note, the intro is meant to sound like the original, so it has little difference beyond modern using modern synths/samples.

I really like it right now, but it feels like I didn't put enough time into it, almost like I rushed it. I get this feeling with almost anything I write or remix, so I don't know how legitimate that feeling is, but I wanted to know what the OCR community themselves thought of it. I have intentions of submitting it in hopes of approval, and with such, I want it to be as high quality as possible in every regard.

Please provide any critiques that you have! This will be my first attempt at submitting a song to OCR, and I want it to be top notch quality.

The intro sounds strange - I think because it starts a little unnaturally. You're suddenly already in the middle of it.

The volume levels are too different between the start and when it shifts into gear at around 0:46. There is also a ton of high end and some low end in this song, but it sounds like the mid range frequencies haven't really been explored in this song. Those production elements probably hold back this song the most so far.

That took a weirdly long time to download.

Intro sounds terrible. Worse than the original. Really you could have just pasted in a recording of the original for better effect than what you did.

Lead melody loses a lot of its old punch when you have only one synth playing it. I guess you're doing that in the beginning to further contrast it from the more intense parts, but it just doesn't sound good when it's singular.

Repeating the lead melody so many times in rapid succession de-emphasizes it pretty fiercely; I keep waiting for an original lead to take over.

Alright, I've made some improvements. The instantly notable one is the new intro; I got rid of the old one altogether, as it wasn't really necessary to have the original, or something very strongly resembling the original, "reminding" people what it sounds like. Or something.

Amongst minor changes across the song, I also made some major changes to the section at 2:15 - 2:55. It sounds much more happy now. :3

http://www.fileden.com/files/2009/3/7/2353729/Sonic%203%20boss%20hardcore%20remix%20ver2.mp3

More critiques please! ^^