*NO* Jurassic Park (SNES) 'Isla Nublar Jam'

djpretzel

Hi,

After a long, long, LONG time of hearing my brother Smoke (he's a regular on the OCR forums) ask if I would just -once- make a remix of something, I've decided to do a little ditty that might or might not please your ears.

Instead of carefully sequencing and crafting it in a timespan of a few weeks, I've played this live (so yes, I had to do a few re-takes). I've kept the size down to 5.5 megs, 160kbps CBR (hope that's good enough).

The track itself and the cinematic atmosphere of the game in general have had me mesmerized since day one - when we rented the game and a SNES from the video store for the very first time. I would keep running there, doing nothing, just to listen to the song. I've actually never ever managed to finish the game, but I was pleased enough with just running around and enjoying the soundtrack.

Gear used (all monotimbral) : MPC1000 for the drums, Access Virus C for the Rhodes, E-mu ESI-4000 for the ambient bird sounds, E-mu Vintage Keys combined with an Alesis Ineko for the "chanting monks". Controlled by a Roland XP-30, and mixed on a Yamaha 01v which also provided the necessary reverb + delay, recorded in Sound Forge and used the built-in Compressor to give it some more punch & volume. No EQ's were hurt in the recording of this track.

Link to download :

Thanks in advance for your merciless verdict,

Kindest regards,

Rob Janssen / Yoozer

I really like the sound of this.

However there are some issues. The vibe is there but it never changes, and you're just dying for a drum fill to mix it up just a bit. There are also timing issues when the drum beat is re-triggered. I thought this was gonna be a great mix when I started to listen to it, but unfortunately it just runs out of steam.

NO

The drums sound real nice when they come in at first, very intense and in-yo-face nekkah! But then they just....keep...going.

Right before 1:20 was a grand place to put some kind of breakdown in place, eschewing the crazy breakbeating for a more chill section. The piano and bass definately insinuate such an arrangement, but the drums continue to drone. The percussion would also do well to reinforce the syncopated mix-ups like the one at 2:20. Instead, it drones on.

What i'm hearing is a very decent mix with some nice playing and arrangement, but one overriding factor that absolutely kills it (the percussion) and many small ones that help to bring it down.

First off, the sound quality is a bit muddy, i'm not hearing much differentiation between high, low, and mid frequencies. My sub isn't firing on each pulse-pounding, phat beat as much as it's just in a constant state of random flux. This means that the low-end is in no way as defined as it needs to be in this breakbeatish type of musicosity. The high frequencies are notably absent as well. It's a smattering of wide-mid-range. EQ could have done wonders.

While I do respect that you actually played all these parts live rather than sequence them, this track simply needs more love on EQ, fx processing, and most notably, SOME kind of percussive variation.

Give 'er another go. I'm diggin', but not to the point of OCR acceptitude....yet.

NO

-D