Liontamer

"Disturbance"

* BlackPanther

* Rashad Hill

* rashad_hill@yahoo.com

* http://www.myspace.com/dablackpantha

* Final Fantasy VII

* Cosmo Canyon

* When I decided to remix this song, I wanted to go for a calm, relaxing feel that had some business added along with it which I think I did a good job of. Actually I started on this song back in 07 sometime in April, waaayyy before my Goldeneye remix so I'm sure you can only imagine what it sounded like back then. Got some good help during that time which was when Brian started to help me out a whole lot and he told me I should put this song away and come back to it when I've learned some more about music production. So here you go with a polished version of what I thought was one of the best tunes from the VII game, hope you all enjoy.

--------------------------------------------------------------

The opening strings were too muddy, but not awful. Beat came in at :32 arranging the source tune. Some of the melodic string writing didn't quite sound right; same at 2:15 with the woodwind writing.

Changed up into the source melody with more driving beats at :58, even though the main drum pattern there sounded too flimsy. Luckily the kit changed at 1:25 to some synth wank on top of the source tune's countermelody/foundation.

Back to the weak drums at 2:27, then some other synth wank paired with the strings that didn't have much flow to it. I would have definitely pulled back on the synth wank. There was no synergy there, IMO, and the synth wank didn't click with the rest of the instrumentation. Along with the very awkward resolution at 3:45, this track just lacked the proper polish.

Tighten up the execution of these ideas Rashad, and you'd have a winner. The arrangement concept is decent, and definitely interpretive in the right way, but there's too many sounds that don't gel together correctly. Tweak the sections with the weak drums with stronger percussion, make sure the there are fewer odd notes, and tweak the synth writing & positioning. It's a strong candidate for a resub though.

NO (resubmit)

With Larry back for a visit on the panel it's hard to add something new to the vote, very few times has I disagreed with him. So I'll just point out the biggest issues for me then. Drums were flimsy and lacked body, the track in general was heavy on the high/mid and lacked any proper low/low-mid frequencies. The flutey instrument handling the melody can't really carry the track and the strings are a bit muddy but thin. It feels like you could space out the sounds more, get some more meat in there to make the track sound full.

This track does show a lot of promise and the personalization is well on it's way. I suggest spending some more attention to creating a full soundscape and maybe taking some additional turns with the melody and backing. Great start!

NO(resubmit)

• 2 weeks later...

To me this mix fails across the board. Not to say it's not without it's merit. There are some interesting ideas. But the woodwind lead is too fake/uninteresting to listen to. The strings are muddy. The synth is funky but it can't carry the mix by itself.

The drums are weak at best. The cymbals are annoyingly out of place for me. You need to merge them into the drumwork better.

A mix that sort of roams around offering the occasional good idea. But it needs a lot more effort and work. Right now it's just too random and sloppy. So it's a NO from me.