Update on Film Project and the musical submissions

Zipp

Hello, everyone, Zipp here with an update to all those who submitted music to Moon Tribe Studios for the upcoming Population 2 and attached project The Threshing Floor.

Like I said when I first put out the call, wheels were already in motion on Pop 2 to bring on a musician. The director ended up finding someone who does primarily orchestral scoring and we've decided to go with him. His film resume is impressive and he was willing to work for free, so we couldn't pass up the opportunity.

However, as I said before, all the people who submitted music are now on file for when we do our next piece, The Threshing Floor, which starts planning this summer. Also, your work has now been passed around to several big names in the industry (including people who work on the TV show Leverage and people who crew for Gus Van Sant).

For updates on the project, you can go to our facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/population2?ref=ts

In the meantime, here are some tips for those of you who are serious about working in the film industry:

- solicit yourself all the time. Find companies, especially independent companies, and find out what they are doing. Send them emails with samples of your work and tell them you're interested in working on their project or upcoming projects.

- Remember that independent film makers are in just a crowded a pond as musicians. If you send them a message acknowledging their work, it makes them feel like they've been noticed and are getting somewhere. They get excited and they like to take people up on their offers.

- You will probably have to work for free on your first few movies. When you send a message out to film makers, let them know that you'll work for free, but do it subtly! Don't sound desperate. A great way to let a director know you're interested in working for free is to say something like "I've reviewed your films and they really interest me because... and I'd be willing to work on credit just to get a chance to be part of the project."

- Always ask questions of the people you send to. Ask them what their vision is for the film or if they have a sound they are looking for. For one thing, it makes them feel compelled to open a dialogue with you, which is always a chance for you to further advertise yourself. Also, it shows that you are actually paying attention to their work and not just mass soliciting (even if you really are).

- Keep sending emails. Keep checking in. Keep asking questions. Yeah, it might annoy the production team a little bit, but more importantly, it will make them remember you when they are sifting through a hundred musical submissions. Always be respectful and polite in your messages and they won't remember you in a bad way.

- Resume building is extremely important. There is no such thing as a bad movie when it comes to your resume. Try to get on any film you can, even if it's some small independent company that has no chance in hell of making it in Hollywood. As long as the project gets finished, you will have a film credit to your name that will let you crawl one rung up the ladder in your next project. Eventually you will get a credit on IMDB and can link people to that. From there it's not far to getting a paid position.

Hopefully this advice is helpful to those of you who aspire to work in the film industry! Always have confidence in your work but always strive to make it better. It's a rule of life: hard work and focus pays off. It never fails. Sometimes it doesn't pay off in the way you expected it to, but it never hurts. Keep sending your stuff out there and one day it will be picked up.

Maybe by us, in the Summer, for the Threshing Floor project. If anyone is interested in seeing press kits for Population 2 to get a sense of what the Threshing Floor is about, let me know and I will send you one.

Cheers!

Jonathan Stark

• 2 weeks later...

Update to our list of musical talent.

We've added some scenes to the Population 2 piece and, along with that, have picked up some more musical talent to be used.

First of all, Moby will now be contributing music to the project. Also, one of OCRemixes' own, Nicole Adams, will be adding her musical talents.

This piece is going to jammed full of amazing music!

Update to our list of musical talent.

We've added some scenes to the Population 2 piece and, along with that, have picked up some more musical talent to be used.

First of all, Moby will now be contributing music to the project. Also, one of OCRemixes' own, Nicole Adams, will be adding her musical talents.

This piece is going to jammed full of amazing music!

How did you get Moby? Is he doing original music or contributing one of his album pieces? Last I heard, if you wanted to use some of his existing catalog in a film, it was free.