OCR02053 - *YES* Mega Man X5 'Moonlight Vibin''

Liontamer

I recently completed a new remix and seeing as how it's been forever since my last one was posted (though "conventional" calendars might say it's only been about 4 and a half years), I figured I'd submit it. All my artist info is still accurate, but I don't think Mega Man X5 is in the database.

Name of ReMix: Moonlight Vibin'

Name of game(s) arranged: Mega Man X5

Name of individual song(s) arranged: Credits

Additional information about game including composer, system, etc.: According to wikipedia it was composed by Naoto Tanaka, Naoya Kamisaka, Takuya Miyawaki; released on PS1

Your own comments about the mix, for example the inspiration behind it, how it was made, etc. - I've never played any of the games in the Mega Man X series but always enjoyed the music. I was in a creative slump one day when the End Credits song for MMX5 showed up in the mp3 player. Creativity arose, and I put this arrangement together....then the slump returned. *sigh* Anyway, I hope it meets the OCR standards.

Thanks for listening!

-DCT

----------------------------------------------------------------

The tone of the strings brought in at :12 sounded fake; they should sound warmer to expose them less. Nothing terrible though, but they stick out, especially when brought back in a bigger role at 1:43, which exposed the unrealistic articulations more. That kind of string execution got the job done back in the day, but it sounds lacking now. The lower strings at 3:14 sounded so much better, though I can't tell if that was from just going with lower notes or additional layering.

Otherwise, I was enjoying the subtle dynamics here, which paralleled the layout of the source while definitely personalizing it with this hip-hop instrumental take. Aside from the issue with the strings, all of the other instrumentation was on point and clicked together very well. Despite only having a few parts in play, the texture was always nicely fleshed out, with a full soundscape, and beats that coasted but weren't uncreative and repetitive. Solid stuff, and great to hear from Duane again with some very nice work.

YES

Nice melancholy source, and the epiano really suits the melody. I enjoyed the soundscape, and the production was on track, but i think it was missing a lot of the little details that really set it apart. The beats are pretty static, and there isn't much panning on some elements, even mixing in some rotary panning shaker would improve things a lot in the subtle interest field. I'm fine with the string beds, they aren't trying to be the forefront of the track and the realism of them is irrelevant.

The sounds chosen are really nice, and mesh well, and the groovin take I thought was pretty nice. I think this could have been taken a lot further in several ways, mainly the percussion, and additional harmonies, but i think it's above the bar.

yes