Contact Info

Your ReMixer name: Abadoss

Your real name: Kenneth Edward Keyn

Your email address: Abadoss@yahoo.com

Your website: http://www.abadoss.net/

Your userid (number, not name) on our forums: 1901

ReMix Info

Name of game(s) ReMixed: Xenogears

Name of individual song(s) ReMixed: Flute of Sleepwalk (or Dreamer's Flute)

Link:

Additional information:

Ever since my involvement in the FFIV album, I've been receiving invitations to join several more album projects. One of those was Bahamut's Lufia and Lufia 2 project. I'd played Lufia briefly - didn't get particularly far in it - and I liked the music, but it wasn't a game that I had a strong attachment to. So, while everyone was picking their sources, I focused on several of the other priorities that I had at the time. Come the first WIP due-date, I still hadn't picked a source tune. Thankfully, Bahamut didn't kick me off the project right there. I decided to take a closer look at the source tunes and find one that spoke to me.

I found what I was looking for in a strange little track called "Flute of Sleepwalk" - it's also found as "Dreamer's Flute" and all sorts of different varieties. The source is amazingly sparce and has very little content to it whatsoever, but there was just enough to get an amusing idea. I'm personally very found of pipe organs. I grew up listening to a full pipe organ - with, perhaps, one of the best organists in the world, Kimo Smith - at a church down in Southern California, called Loma Linda University Church. "Flute of Sleepwalk" provided me with a theme that I could then build a fugue around. I wrote the piece in a flurry, turned it into Bahamut, and accidentally became the first one done.

The title is a play on "Toccata and Fugue in D", by Johann Sebastian Bach, who is a heavy influence on this piece. The entire piece has the presence of the source, in one form or another, with the exception of two transitions in the Toccata that last for about a second each.

-Kenneth Keyn

(Abadoss@yahoo.com)

source:

As usual, Kenneth, your arrangements are amazing, and I love listening to what you can do with even fairly short themes. This is no exception. The source is there throughout, and making this into a fugue is a great adaption. Unfortunately, with all the life you breathe into the arrangement, the production is killing it. Everything is played super-rigidly, and right now it doesn't sound as though there is any processing on the organ, which sounds odd so dry (usually used to hearing it in a church hall). I'd love to hear this fixed up, please see if you can get someone to help you out!

NO (resubmit)

An excellent adaptation of the source, but it really sounds dry, thin, and small, when it should be completely massive. I know finale is not a good program to produce with, just compose, but the production on this should be more natural. Even giving the sheet music to someone to play and then adding reverb to these samples would be a welcome improvement.

As-is, it sounds like a really awesome source tune in itself, with PS2-level samples. There is some dynamics, but they are really too subtle for the type of feel you are going for.

Sorry, man. :-(

No, please resubmit

I don't know what you've been smoking my fellow judges but this is over the bar for me. While the performance is a bit stiff it's not so stiff that it's hurting the piece. There's plenty of pretty hall reverb, the level of the actual organ is quite nice. Compare this to Final Fantasy VI Cantata for Dancing: II. Fuga Kefka OC ReMix and you'll realize you're talking out of your ass :)

As usual the arrangement is fantastic, I especially love this one since fugues have always been close to my heart. Also as usual the production COULD be improved but luckily not a whole lot. in the end the arrangement outweighs the production and by quite a wide margin, good job!

I urge my fellow judges to take another listen to this.

YES

I dunno, Mattias, I understand your enthusiasm but I'm not really feeling this for the reasons that have already been stated. The arrangement is quite nice, but the weak samples and unrealistic treatment really don't give it its due. In a piece with more going on, I could overlook this, but this could and should be produced better. Sorry, Kenneth.

NO (resubmit)

• 3 weeks later...

I'd say that I agree with everyone on the production issues (humanization, mix, etc) but I'm not sure it would be that much work to fix it. A little rhythmic humanization here and there would do wonders. As far as the sound goes, I think you could actually afford more reverb, and longer reverb. Think cathedral. It would help hide the crappyass sample. Hopefully it would be enough. Another thing you really should consider is the fact that there's very little low end in this mix. You might consider transposing the whole thing down a bit and see how that sounds, or maybe just tossing on a low shelf around 200 Hz.

NO