*NO* Sonic the Hedgehog 2 'Egyptian Nights'

Liontamer

Remixer name: Guifrog

-----

Game arranged: Sonic the Hedgehog 2

Song arranged: Oil Ocean Zone (source link:

)

Remix name: Egyptian Nights (mix link: )

Hey!

One year ago, I'd sent an Oil Ocean remix for ya. It got rejected though, due to my lack of experience in what comes to music technical stuff, I assume... =P

This time, I'm sending another Oil Ocean remix (hmm...). As I'd been practicing by creating my own original songs, I decided to take a risk and make a '50% original - 50% from source' thingy. Not sure if I succeed on that point for your judgements, but I'm all open for improvement tips.

By the way, I really LOVED making the breakdown! Couldn't help but include some latin beat to it. And so you might tell what made me think of the "Nights" on the mix title, apart from the obvious electronica elements... 8D

Thanks, ribbits, more to come!

----------------------------------------------------------------

The string tone sounded thin, and the articulations were a bit fakey, but serviceable. The beatwork was a little too loud compared to the other elements, so the balance needs to be adjusted. The quality of the brass samples was low, and most of the elements were pretty fake-sounding, but the articulations were generally decent enough and those issue were downplayed by relatively good composition, IMO.

The new writing ideas are decent, though most of them went into pretty liberal territory, with overt, distinct parts from the original being sprinkled in every so often. Offhand, the arrangement seemed too liberal, but only by a small margin, and could easily be pulled back into being OK by using the source a little more often. All in all, this is a pretty good contender for a resub once some tweaks are made. Nice start, Guilherme.

NO (resubmit)

Mostly going to agree with Larry here. The arrangement is a bit too broken up by either original stuff or source usage. Try meshing them a little more, and maybe add a tad more of the source to make this fit more comfortably in the 'mix' side of things, and in that aspect you'll be doing pretty good.

Production needs a bit of work. Right now the balance issues are the most prominent to me, with certain things being overbalanced, like the drums. Make sure that the right parts are placed as either the lead or supporting. I'm not too bothered by the samples, although most of what Larry brought up rings true. Maybe read up a little on how to beef up some of those sounds.

Things are on the right track, just needs a little more source usage/meshing and a few production fixes. NO (resubmit)

Hmm. I like the groove, but the vocal pad isn't great. sounds kind of cheesy. The mixing's pretty good, in spite of sampular cheese.

I'd say the largest problem is that the body of the arrangement primarily consists of a simple three-chord vamp with the melody (or other melodies) tacked over it. There's not a great deal of harmonic variation or depth.

Also, you need an ending.

NO