Automation

I know I'm probably gonna be arsed for this but I didn't see any threads on automation on the front page and I did this in a rush so I could view the thread on my lunch break at work.

Anyways my question is what are some automation techniques for direct FL plugins or third party ones? What are some of the best ways to do automation for the parameters that plugins may have? I went to do some automation on this x,y controller in Zebra2 but I have no idea how to do it. Do automation clips work, or the event window? And how would I link the parameters with the controllers on my axiom 61 to do more hands-on automation recording?

Both automation clips and event window will work, though I vastly prefer automation clips myself because I find it's easier to visualize, copy, and access. Pretty much I just find my parameters within the Browser and create an automation clip for it - done. The native FL ones are even easier, usually you can just right-click on the control. I know you can record automation from your controller as well, but I've never done it so I can't really help you there.

All you need to do is create your first automation clip, then, to link more parameters to it you bring up the remote control for it (either through right-click > link to controller, or through the last tweaked parameter thingy) now make sure the "Remove conflicts" LED at the top is turned OFF. Now in the drop-down box "Internal Controllers" choose the automation clip in there. Now they're both linked to the same automation clip.

You can link as many parameters to the same clip as you want, just make sure remove conflicts is turned off. Let me know if you need any more help with it.

I think he was talking about multiple automation clips for one parameter, not one automation clip for multiple parameters xD

Yes, one way would be just to make a copy in the playlist and make it unique. You could also just create a brand new one the exact same way you made the first one.

Then again, I tend to almost always use the event editor instead of automation clips anyways so what do I know? xD

My main problem with automation clips is that when you create one it's the length of THE ENTIRE SONG. When really what I wanted was this short 4-bar automation. Of course it's not -that- much trouble to make it shorter, but why bother when I could do the same thing by just doing edit events and place it like a pattern clip?

bah. maybe i should go back to the good ol playlist style of working and screw pattern clips and automation clips altogether. Things were much more organized that way, actually. I don't find that it helps me to place, say, all my lead patterns on one "track" of the playlist, and bass patterns on another "track". I end up plopping things down half at random. It's more organized if I have all my lead patterns underneath each other. The only things that the new playlist style is useful for is placing audio clips, and having a visual representation of automation on the playlist (the visual representation of the pattern clips is close to useless).

My main problem with automation clips is that when you create one it's the length of THE ENTIRE SONG. When really what I wanted was this short 4-bar automation. Of course it's not -that- much trouble to make it shorter, but why bother when I could do the same thing by just doing edit events and place it like a pattern clip?

If you select part of the song and make an automation clip, it'll just be the length of that part of the song. I use that technique often.