Need feedback on my FL skills... A new track posted!

So, I've been using FL a good long time now, though I wouldn't hold my breath and call myself anything but an amateur.

However, when I finally do feel like I have the skill, I want to attempt trying to make something worthy of this site, which was one of the driving motivations for me getting to make music when I was much younger.

Anyhoo, these are my latest (greatest?) songs, and I want to hear what the resident 'experts' think. They're for some little game projects I'm working on on the side, for fun.

Saber's Theme

Childhood's Cave

The Forest Transformed

Ocean Blue

MechaKnight

Particularly, I would like advise/criticism on the technical aspect of things: how they sound, the mastering/EQing*, etc etc.

If anyone can take the time, I'd much appreciate it!

*Fun fact, I still don't know what EQ means.

Hey man. I wish i knew how to use FL studio more than i do, but i get by alright. :D

Anyways, Childhood's Cave is a very melodic and soothing track. Reminds me of something from Zelda Ocarina of Time. Probably cause of the way your lead sounds. Don't get me wrong, that's a good thing in my book. When the drums come in around :47 or so, i would consider making them a little louder. Or at least setting them up so its sounding more towards the high end on the EQ. To kinda give it that buildup feel. Then later on in the track bring them at least a little louder and fuller. Most likely after the cymbal crash at 1:33. I'm not sure if your considering making it longer, but i would towards the end of what you've got, add a nice quiet choir/vox section that plays the background chords/notes. Then maybe a nice harmony solo, nothing fast or fancy though. Then maybe bring it back in for one more short chorus.

For Forest Transformed, it seems to be a very jazz themed track. Or least with the sax and the organ solos. I like the slap bass, gives the song a nice backdrop, and the sort of quiet fading strings are a nice touch. I don't know if you plan on making this any longer than already is, but its still a great track. You seem to already have a good knowledge of music to have even those solos plugged in nicely.

For both track, your production seems very good. I can't turn the speakers up too loud right now, but it seems that everything is very well balanced and mixed.

Thanks for the suggestions and the long time it took me to respond... Busy days ahoy!

Childhood's Cave I might expand sometime later down the line, when I have an idea of what to expand it with. I agree in that Forest is just about the perfect length; I am surprised how much I was on a roll with that one (and how much of a roll I am on with my latest little song I'm fiddling around with). It feels pretty great to be musically inspired for the first time in months.

Just adding another request for anyone else who wants to jump in and say 'this sux/rox'.

• 2 weeks later...

Bumping this so as not to make a new topic.

Anyhoo, I made two more songs, one experimenting with filter effects (to great effect, I think... ha.), and the other more 8-bit retro inspired (though not completely like the old-school songs. Apparently, no bitcrushing and arpeggios). If someone could tell me what bit-crushing is (i'm sure I can recognize it; I just never used that name) I'd be pretty grateful, since I have some more 8-bit esque songs I want to do for this little project.

So yeah, any feedback would be welcome.

• 2 weeks later...

Another song to be posted, one I think came out exceedingly well.

http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/337190

I think I am starting to get the hang of using FL filters effectively to make the type of sounds I want with the limited instrument soundfonts/VSTs I DO have.

When I finally get an album of this stuff together (of which this song is to be a part, I might make a new topic and all that. Still, looking for any observations on how to improve.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

EQing is basicly messing with the volume of a sound it self or track in its ranges

LOW / MID / HIGH

Equalizers are usually measured in Hz (Hurtz)

more alot of Equalizers(EQ) contain mutiple bands for each range.

some with 2 lows bands 4 mid bands and 2 high bands for more accurate sounds

heck some EQ's have 3 bands, some have 30 bands (usually rack EQs) but really most people only need 3 or 7 band EQ's.

So in to you DAW(which is fl studio) and make a simple saw wave (looks like a zig zag) on a synth like the 3xosc(turn down vol on ocs 2 and 3 for a single saw) then play it in any key at any octave. mess with the(a) EQ like Fruity Parametric; see how it effects the sound from its Bass(Low range(s)) its mid Treble(Mid range(s)) and to its high treble(High range(s)). you can use EQind to modulate synth sounds too ;)

yor track needs EQing for the first one on the srings, will listen to others later if i can.

So I've listened to a few of the songs and first, I'd like to say kudos on the piano work. As much as I hate to say it though, it does sound a little bland. Please don't take that the wrong way, it could be just because it's not really my style [i really do like "This Lovely Feeling" tho. I'm not saying any of them are bad songs in any way. Keep working at it, experiment with the Parametric EQ2, Maximus, and Fruity Limiter some more, and read the help file for the Maximus too you'd be surprised what you can do with that bad boy. ;) You'll def get to where you want to be in no time. www.soundcloud.com/drinkeekrow

Oh wow, people actually posted in here. What a shock!

Thanks for the kind words and most importantly a little bit of technical knowledge that I didn't possess before! I never even bothered to use those things before, but now I'll have to check them out!