Red Dead Redemption, and a "proposition"

Overflow

So, anyone got Red Dead Redemption yet? I couldn't find a thread. It looks like a lot of fun, but I'm a little concerned that it might be too much like GTA, so I'm keeping my eye in it.

That leads me into my next question, though: Does anyone know about (or produce themselves) reviews of games that explain the rating? For example, what exactly does "Sexual Content" refer to in Bioshock?

I checked out Focus on the Family's game reviews, but they are very unfair and biased towards certain games. For example, here are the closing statements for 2 different games. Can you guess which ones?

Of course, ___ isn't the only new character in ___. There are a bunch of interesting additions. But for all their fun, the new graphic realism makes some of them stand out as further justification for that new T rating. The game has a few more overtly accentuated female figures than fans may be used to. And some low-cut, cleavage-baring tops, too. One particular flirtatious tavern maid has a very, um ... full figure.

That hasn't kept scores of vocal ___ fanatics from heralding this 21st-century incarnation as one of the genre's best. ...You'll want to think twice before tossing young Derek or Donna (Jared, too) into a dank pit to battle well-defined and artistically rendered ghoulies with ichor-dripping mandibles. And you'll want to think even harder than that about ___'s zombies and polytheism. Grim supernatural elements include possessed characters and a level called "___" where gamers enter a pagan temple and collect souls ripped from ghostly, demonic-looking creatures.

I should admit here that the game does have some creative puzzle-solving moments tangled up in this mess. And there's a recurring theme related to the idea that hope has the power to release you from the soul-crushing emptiness of wrathful, fuming vengeance. ___ will have none of that, of course. But I guess you could say that at least he's confronted with the idea.

He enters an artful netherworld in the end, though the game cares not a whit for sunshine and flowers. Rather, it can be summed up as equal parts gory spectacle, men's mag sexual fantasy and intravenous caffeine drip. Suicide. Murder. Revenge. Dismemberment. Twisted spirituality. Seduction. Lesbianism. Lust. ___ jumps into—repeatedly and headfirst—every morally mangled, testosterone-engorged pitfall it can find.

I've taken the liberty of removing the game title and names that would give it away. Now, while the second game is obviously more violent than the first, the first is still treated very unfairly. Take a moment and guess what those games are.

---

The second is God Of War 3, the first is Zelda Twilight Princess.

Clearly, parents will not get a good idea of what Zelda is like. So I had the idea of starting my own place to explain why games are rated M or T. I would love input from others, or if someone else already is doing a good job of this, I'd love to check it out.

What do you think?

Incidentally, both reviews can be found here: http://www.pluggedin.com/games.aspx

Yeah, I think it would be fun as well as helpful to people.

I'm not sure what the best medium to do this would be however. I can't afford to run a website, so youtube is appealing. I'd still need to get footage from the game, though, and which would mean finding videos online or filming my TV.

It was a trap to get people to check out my thread :P

Lol, not really, I am really interested in finding out what people think of the game, and I had just intended to stick on my "proposition" as an after-though. But the way it turns out, it seems to be the other way around, eh?

I'd happily rename this thread and start a new RDR thread, if I need to.