My Symphony Got Performed Live!

Gimgak

So I wrote a three-movement symphonic piece called "Fireworks" and got lucky enough to have our top band at my school perform it at a concert.

Tell me what ya think!

(I only have a recording of the second and third movement right now)

The orchestration is quite nice, especially since that's in high school. The compositions are a bit static, but that seems to suit you just fine. It's not a bad thing, but it's something that's nice to be aware of.

The conducting is a little bit odd, but that's probably due to inexperience, I'm sure; you'll get better quick. A pointer for the future - conducting with one hand is great if you're going to use the other hand to signal the performers on significant cutoffs & entrances. Otherwise it can confuse the performers and lead to them ignoring your actions. Looking at the performers that are going to enter/cutoff specifically when you signal them is a nice thing to do, as well.

This is an excellent song. It's difficult to get people to perform work, in my experience, so I'm glad you got people willing to play your stuff :)

The conducting is a little bit odd, but that's probably due to inexperience, I'm sure; you'll get better quick. A pointer for the future - conducting with one hand is great if you're going to use the other hand to signal the performers on significant cutoffs & entrances. Otherwise it can confuse the performers and lead to them ignoring your actions. Looking at the performers that are going to enter/cutoff specifically when you signal them is a nice thing to do, as well.

Ya, I had not done any conducting prior to this so I just tried to teach myself as best as I could before the concert. I tried to do some cues, but from the perspective of this video it does look like I'm just doing the same pattern over and over again. I'll have to work on that. Thanks for the tips. :razz: