z3ta+ is $20 right now!

There's no reason to learn synthesis other than to spare your wallet. If you got Omnisphere and Komplete and only knew what the Next/Previous sound buttons did, the only thing you're doing a disservice is your wallet - since you're going to be out of sounds after you've listened to 'm all (and only a few are useful).

Since this is cheap, it's not a loss if you only learn the next/previous buttons and nothing else. It's got a full modulation matrix too, so that actually helps in understanding synthesis.

If you got Omnisphere and Komplete and only knew what the Next/Previous sound buttons did, the only thing you're doing a disservice is your wallet - since you're going to be out of sounds after you've listened to 'm all

Which will be a long, long time. I have owned both for a couple years now and I'm probably not even a tenth of the way through the presets, especially if you also count Omnisphere's raw soundsource files and infinite synth capabilities. Plus, Omnisphere is not only a powerful synthesizer but it's also much easier than you'd think to create your own sounds. Here's a patch I made entirely from scratch in a couple minutes using zero samples:

Just an example, and I'm really not a synth wizard by any stretch.

(and only a few are useful)

I typically generally agree with you on several things, but this is 100% false. and I've met a reasonably large group of musicians ranging from hobbyists to professionals who would agree. I will definitely agree that there are many presets that are pointless but for every sound I don't like, there are at least 10 that I do.

Back on topic, yeah z3ta for $20 isn't a bad deal, whether you're a preset surfer or a DIY guy.

whaaaaaaaat

Have a $2000 synth, like only 10 presets, and have no idea what the knobs do. Congratulations; you've just bought 10 very expensive presets at $200 apiece.

Have a $2000 synth, like only 10 presets, but know how to program 190 of 'm. Congratulations; you've just bought a lot of future possibilities and your sounds cost (right now) $10 a piece. Use 3 of 'm, get paid more than $30, profit. Plus the joy of actually knowing how the thing works, and all that.

See my point? ;-)

Here's a patch I made entirely from scratch in a couple minutes using zero samples:

Noiiice!

I typically generally agree with you on several things, but this is 100% false.

Yes, it is. Though you might sort-of-agree if you give Absynth to someone with a preference for symphonic sounds :<

Yes, it is. Though you might sort-of-agree if you give Absynth to someone with a preference for symphonic sounds :<

That makes sense. Also, I guess I was talking more about Omnisphere than Komplete. I think Spectrasonics is pretty far ahead of Native Instruments as far as their ratio of useful sounds to useless sounds. :P