OCR01241 - *YES* Legend of Zelda 3 'Kakariko Prom'

djpretzel

Like the concept, DOES sound like prom music. Not that I'd know. - djp

I've been around OCR for a while now, but this is my first submission as a remixer. My remixer name is "Flik", current e-mail is "sputnik1@brainerd.net" (soon to change), and my website is www.vagstudios.com (still developing).

I had never intended on making a remix, but while working on an original I somehow started playing the melody to Kakariko Village. I have not played Zelda 3 in a very very long time, but I was somehow able to recall the whole tune from memory. I thought it would be fun to make a remix, so I did. I know on a technical aspect there could be some minor improvements, but it ended up sounding good to me the way it was. I used Reason to make and master all the music. The audio drama stuff was also fun to make.

Hope you can enjoy it.

-Chris

I've gotta give it to Flik - It's a very nicely produced "concept piece". The arrangement isn't a modern Tchaikovsky, but it doesn't matter.

It works. The "YOU SUCK"s are awesome. The flubbed beginning picking and subsequent "damn it" is great. The production is generally of pretty high quality, with each instrument clearly defined and spaced in the stereo field. The percussion is definately a weak spot, but convincing synthesized ballad drums are a rare thing to come by.

When the electric piano came in at 2:30 I swear I was warped back in time to a junior high dance. And that's exactly the point. The track works mostly because it's transporting. I can't find enough flaws without nitpicking to reject this.

gg afk

YES

-D

Just wanted to add my comments as well, since I pimped this one for VGF when it hit VGMix in early July:

Liontamer]Flik - The Legend of Zelda 3 "Kakariko Prom" [VGMix2 #1845]

After contributing to the sick River City Ransom rap mix, "River City Rap," Chris Serani makes his solo debut on VGMix with this prom-music spin on the SNES's A Link from the Past. Featuring a joking story-style intro (and outro) hearkening back to the old-school days of Mustin, "Needles," and "Team Gato," this one definitely intros the right way and gets your attention. If you're a sap for Zelda music that you and a high school sweetheart can dance to, your prayers have been answered. Certainly a good debut from Flik.

This was a pretty straight arrangement with nice creative additions and tweaks to make things fit comfortably with the prom motif, a really rare approach as far as remixes go. Though the performance could sound more realistic, Flik really executes the style well; maybe he crashed a bunch of proms and got accustomed to the genre. Or maybe just one prom. God knows that's one more prom than 90% of the community's ever attended. The joking intro and outros with Principal Flik were both quality ideas as well. Easily accessible and pretty cool stuff, Chris. Great work for your first remix release aside from your part in "River City Rap!" Looking forward to whatever ideas you may drop next.

YES