Save point vs check point

Thin Crust

It wasn't Eternal Darkness, which was awesome for entirely different reasons. The sanity effects were so fourth-wall breaking that the game would randomly pretend to delete your save file, mess with your TVs volume control, reset, or even show a windows BSOD.

Diablo 2 had a hardcore mode that wiped your character if you died.

which is what more gamess should do.

Instead of making easy modes, the devs need to create "hardcore modes" since we all know the hardcore gamer is now a niche. A game will be developed and produced with casual gamers in mind, with hardcores as an afterthought. Thus a "hardcore mode" that have permanent effects on your character or items or saving (if at all) makes more sense.

Devil May Cry series is infamous for its hard modes, and Diablo 2 with the Hardcore mode that deletes your character if you die promotes much more hardcore gaming mindsets, rather than something like CoD nowadays, where you get to heal up for free and there isn't really a "game over" as you have infinite lives.

i know a guy who did that with tomb raider, he didn't turn off is PSX for month.

I actually did the same, when I first had a playstation but no memory card, but I did it with a rented Final Fantasy VII. I died on some boss though, on disc 2. :( After that, I didn't rent any more games until I had a memory card.