Furnace - Orchestra Composition

Dash Myoku

Alright, I think some of you know that I've been doing work for a game project (which as always, I'm not at liberty to talk about). Either way, I have a Ruin Theme here that I'd love some feedback on. I have two different versions. One that has no EQ settings touched, and one that does. Feedback-wise, what I'm looking for is if the applied EQ settings are good...and if not, how I can improve them for each individual instrument.

And two...is the composition good and if not, what suggestions do you have to improve the composition.

Overall, I just hope you guys can enjoy what I've created, even though it's a WIP. Happy listening guys. :3

Without applied EQs

stats.png

With applied EQs

stats.png

The EQ touch-up gives it a little more edge, but I think that what is happening here is that the EQ sounds a little bit more appealing because it's bringing out elements of the sonic spectrum that the original composition neglects. Your composition, if you'll note, is strongest when you employ a fuller spectrum of sonic color during the parts with harp, you're engaging with a broader palette of frequencies and for that we can ignore the banal trudging of the same chord progression over and over and over again.

However, instead of trying to steer you away from your use of this repetitive harmonic structure, I would think you would instead benefit from really STUDYING Jesper Kyd's score for Assassin's Creed 2--specifically Earth. It utilizes the same chord structure over and over and over, but in so doing plays on our expectations for the track as it unfolds--not to trick us--but rather to emphasize the excitement in the evolution of the music.

Listen carefully to how Kyd plays with high and low frequencies, listen to how he plays with rhythm, listen to his drum production and how lower hits are used only as exclamation and higher drums are used to give the piece energy, each should be a separate listen through. Listen to how he colors his piece with instruments and vocals that either soften or harshen the piece, giving it a feel of slow evolution.

Obviously, it is challenging for us to comment on a track that is MEANT for something we can't know about.

I suppose this Furnace is a level in a game, that it's supposed to feel continuous and oppressive, you have that start, but now move us in your composition and make sure we never tire of hearing your track.

Finally, just a slight erk, but your main drum rhythm is the same for THE TERMINATOR. Not sure if you wanted to reference the TERMINATOR, but there you go:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DK1I3Y5g2zI&feature=related

LOL Everyone I've let listen to this has said it has Terminator. The reference was by accident, but felt like it fits with what I was wanting anyways.

EQ is something I'm not particularly good at. The plugin that I use identifies what frequencies a certain instrument plays at and from there, I can adjust as needed...or what I think is needed. But, so long as the EQ is fine in the second version, then I'll leave it the way it is.

Either way, I've listened to the track you referenced and I understand what you're saying. Although, I'm just really starting off with bettering myself, so something like that track kind of blows me away almost. lol Obviously, there are a number of things that Kyd does better than me, but I guess that's mostly apparent. Though I must say, it doesn't seem like he uses the same chordal progression. At about the highlight of the track, I definitely hear a change...then after, it goes back to the chordal progression we were first introduced to. Though, I could just be crazy...

I'll see what I can do to better improve the composition of this track so that it doesn't have the listener lose interest. Thanks for your feedback, it was extremely helpful. :3

lol Also, the track is meant for a "Furnace" type ruin. I don't think I capture the "heat" of the place very well, but I've been told otherwise. In addition, this is one of the ending ruins for the game which should explain the mood I gave this track.